Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,029 Members 42,745 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stock S4 Updated to 4.4.2, Now It Barely Works.

Tip us?

w98seeng
Old
(Last edited by w98seeng; 9th June 2014 at 09:22 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Stock S4 Updated to 4.4.2, Now It Barely Works.

My friend has an S4 that is about 7 months old. It was running stock 4.3 and he was having trouble with the person receiving his call would get a loud growl type sound (he hears nothing on his end), about 50% of the time (though not too good for a business phone). The phone works fine on Bluetooth without any offensive sounds going through. He said if he takes his sim out and puts it in hos sons S4, makes a few calls and then puts it back in his phone, the problem goes away for a few hours to a day.

He got a new sim and he had the same problems. He took the phone to the Samsung repair center here and they said the phone was not under warranty anymore as he had the glass replaced when it cracked (2 weeks after he got the phone).

I took the phone from him to see if I could figure it out and as soon as I booted it up, it started to update to 4.4.2. When it finished, the phone was barely useable, lagging so bad the phone would not respond for 5 to 10 seconds and the screen would jitter up and down. I reset the phone twice and though it is better, the phone is still laggy (not as bad) and when I try to make a call, the call goes through, but I hear nothing.

I want to downgrade to 4.3 and hope the phone is better as I have read a lot of people are having trouble on 4.4.2, but with the new 4.4.2 bootloader, I can't downgrade. Is there a way to downgrade that will not trip the Knox counter? Also, has anyone ever heard of people receiving a call getting a loud sound on their end with the S4?

Many thanks,
Ian
GPS, Wi-Fi, A Compass, Games, Movies, Internet access, ALL I WANT TO DO IS MAKE A PHONE CALL.

Joku1981
Old
Thanks Meter 546

DONATE TO ME
It isnt possible downgrade without trip KNOX

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CLICK "THANKS" BUTTON IF I HELPED YA

w98seeng
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joku1981 View Post
It isnt possible downgrade without trip KNOX
What about flashing a stock ROM from another region, but using the modem from Rogers (My friends telco)?

How can Samsung/Rogers put out software than makes the phone inoperable?

Ian
GPS, Wi-Fi, A Compass, Games, Movies, Internet access, ALL I WANT TO DO IS MAKE A PHONE CALL.

Lennyz1988
Old
Thanks Meter 187
It isn't possible.

Your only option is to use a custom recovery and flash a custom rom.

Why are you worried about knox when you don't even have warranty anymore? If I had the issues that you descripe I would try to fix them asap and not worrie about knox.
Current:

Samsung Galaxy S 4 I9505 | WanamLite v2.6

Retired:

Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 : AOKP 4.2.1
HTC Touch Pro2 | ROM: Valkyrie 6.5.23115TR2.5
HTC HD2 | DarkStone1337 [FroyoStone Sense - V3.2]
HTC Desire : Oxygen v2.1.3

w98seeng
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyz1988 View Post
It isn't possible.

Your only option is to use a custom recovery and flash a custom rom.

Why are you worried about knox when you don't even have warranty anymore? If I had the issues that you descripe I would try to fix them asap and not worrie about knox.
The phone works properly now. I reset the phone again, but this time, I did not allow Google to restore my apps. I installed them manually and the phone works fine. It must have been something Google was restoring from 4.3

Is Samsung the only manufacturer that does not allow downgrading? This was one of the reasons I moved away from Apple. It's my phone, let me do to it what I want.

Ian