Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Stock S4 Updated to 4.4.2, Now It Barely Works.

OP w98seeng

9th June 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Thanks Meter: 64

394 posts
Donate to Me
More
My friend has an S4 that is about 7 months old. It was running stock 4.3 and he was having trouble with the person receiving his call would get a loud growl type sound (he hears nothing on his end), about 50% of the time (though not too good for a business phone). The phone works fine on Bluetooth without any offensive sounds going through. He said if he takes his sim out and puts it in hos sons S4, makes a few calls and then puts it back in his phone, the problem goes away for a few hours to a day.

He got a new sim and he had the same problems. He took the phone to the Samsung repair center here and they said the phone was not under warranty anymore as he had the glass replaced when it cracked (2 weeks after he got the phone).

I took the phone from him to see if I could figure it out and as soon as I booted it up, it started to update to 4.4.2. When it finished, the phone was barely useable, lagging so bad the phone would not respond for 5 to 10 seconds and the screen would jitter up and down. I reset the phone twice and though it is better, the phone is still laggy (not as bad) and when I try to make a call, the call goes through, but I hear nothing.

I want to downgrade to 4.3 and hope the phone is better as I have read a lot of people are having trouble on 4.4.2, but with the new 4.4.2 bootloader, I can't downgrade. Is there a way to downgrade that will not trip the Knox counter? Also, has anyone ever heard of people receiving a call getting a loud sound on their end with the S4?

Many thanks,
Ian
Last edited by w98seeng; 9th June 2014 at 10:22 PM.
9th June 2014, 10:22 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 632

2,033 posts
Donate to Me
More
It isnt possible downgrade without trip KNOX
9th June 2014, 10:44 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dollard-des-Ormeaux

394 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joku1981

It isnt possible downgrade without trip KNOX

What about flashing a stock ROM from another region, but using the modem from Rogers (My friends telco)?

How can Samsung/Rogers put out software than makes the phone inoperable?

Ian
10th June 2014, 09:19 AM   |  #4  
Flag Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 313

1,971 posts
It isn't possible.

Your only option is to use a custom recovery and flash a custom rom.

Why are you worried about knox when you don't even have warranty anymore? If I had the issues that you descripe I would try to fix them asap and not worrie about knox.
10th June 2014, 03:00 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dollard-des-Ormeaux

394 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyz1988

It isn't possible.

Your only option is to use a custom recovery and flash a custom rom.

Why are you worried about knox when you don't even have warranty anymore? If I had the issues that you descripe I would try to fix them asap and not worrie about knox.

The phone works properly now. I reset the phone again, but this time, I did not allow Google to restore my apps. I installed them manually and the phone works fine. It must have been something Google was restoring from 4.3

Is Samsung the only manufacturer that does not allow downgrading? This was one of the reasons I moved away from Apple. It's my phone, let me do to it what I want.

Ian
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread