Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,956 Members 48,393 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Where does stock HTC Gallery store database?

Tip us?

rdar_93
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Maybe it's not your device.

Maybe it's just syncing to a cloud storage.

I know that my brother's girlfriend's Motorola Xoom was sending pictures directly to her Google+ account and she didn't like that. It took me a while to figure out that's what it was because we'd delete all the pictures and still they'd show up.

Maybe that's what's happening to you.
Current device: OnePlus One 64gb
Bootloader: Locked.... For now
Rooted: Not yet
Rom: Cyanogenmod 11S (stock)
Kernel: Stock kernel

Previous devices: HTC Amaze 4G, LG P350, Motorola Defy, Defy+, XT317, Milestone 2 and Cliq (MB220)

oryan_dunn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergonzi View Post
Up top on the left, see if you can switch that view to Album. Then check the settings about Selecting Albums.
Yours looks different from mine--mine has a text drop-down menu where you have an icon of an album.
And I was using the on-screen buttons--Home, Menu, Return, Search, when I said to use the Settings, it was the Menu button on the bottom of my phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdar_93 View Post
Maybe it's not your device.

Maybe it's just syncing to a cloud storage.

I know that my brother's girlfriend's Motorola Xoom was sending pictures directly to her Google+ account and she didn't like that. It took me a while to figure out that's what it was because we'd delete all the pictures and still they'd show up.

Maybe that's what's happening to you.
The stock gallery isn't that smart. On the main screen, you can select to show pictures from local storage, Picassa, Flickr, etc. But these show the same path for each duplicate "/mnt/sdcard/ext_sd/DCIM/100MEDIA".

SuperAfnan
Old
Thanks Meter 2,215

DONATE TO ME
Why not just try "Quickpic"? Better than stock IMO.

Quickpic
Use my referral link if you don't have a Dropbox! It's good cloud storage! When you use it please remember to install!-->http://db.tt/5dIMndQi

oryan_dunn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAfnan View Post
Why not just try "Quickpic"? Better than stock IMO.

Quickpic
I could use a different gallery, but just as an exercise, want to figure this out, since it has to be solvable. I'm going to flash a new ROM soon, so it really doesn't matter, I just want to solve this, since it seems like an easy problem (figure out where the gallery db is and delete it).

pbergonzi
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Default database

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
I could use a different gallery, but just as an exercise, want to figure this out, since it has to be solvable. I'm going to flash a new ROM soon, so it really doesn't matter, I just want to solve this, since it seems like an easy problem (figure out where the gallery db is and delete it).
Possible it doesn't keep a database, just scans each time, and is listing the same photo under two headings even though same path?
Amaze 4G Unlocked Rooted S-off (Juopunutbear) SuperCID 4EXT CM10

This is not haiku.
Nor does it profess to be.
Android in Springtime.

oryan_dunn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergonzi View Post
Possible it doesn't keep a database, just scans each time, and is listing the same photo under two headings even though same path?
It may not be a database proper, like a SQLite database, but there is definitely some sort of cache that it builds. If I add a huge directory of pictures, open the gallery, it takes a while to parse through it all. Subsequent times opening the gallery, the pictures/thumbnails are available instantly.

pbergonzi
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Default db

Quote:
It may not be a database proper, like a SQLite database, but there is definitely some sort of cache that it builds. If I add a huge directory of pictures, open the gallery, it takes a while to parse through it all. Subsequent times opening the gallery, the pictures/thumbnails are available instantly.
Good test.

This is not haiku.
Android in Springtime.

chevycowboyusa
Old
(Last edited by chevycowboyusa; 10th June 2014 at 10:03 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2,907

DONATE TO ME
Default Thumbnails

Quote:
Thumbs are built and kept in a folder under DICM. there is most likely a process that scans the folders for pics and then makes a thumb if it doesn't already have one.

Thus there are actually two copies of pictures on your phone. One is full sized and the other is a thumb size.

You can copy all the pics off your phone to one folder on your computer, then delete all the photos from your phone and then copy them back from your computer.

If you have thousands of pics, I'd back them up anyway. dont want to lose some great pics...
Viper Amaze thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2198480
Liberty thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2637730
The First Sense 5 rom for the Amaze

ViperAmaze Dev

<-- If I've helped you, Click on that little THANKS button over yonder!

The Following User Says Thank You to chevycowboyusa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oryan_dunn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevycowboyusa View Post
Thumbs are built and kept in a folder under DICM. there is most likely a process that scans the folders for pics and then makes a thumb if it doesn't already have one.

Thus there are actually two copies of pictures on your phone. One is full sized and the other is a thumb size.

You can copy all the pics off your phone to one folder on your computer, then delete all the photos from your phone and then copy them back from your computer.

If you have thousands of pics, I'd back them up anyway. dont want to lose some great pics...
Yeah, I've tried deleting the .thumbnail folder to try to get the gallery to rescan. Say I have 1000 pics, and I add a folder of pictures with a 1000 more, the first time I open the gallery, it shows 1000, with a spinning wheel. Eventually, it'll populate with 2000 pictures. And you can tell it's creating thumbnails. If I just delete the thumbnail folder, when I open the gallery, it immediately shows 2000 pictures, but it'll slowly recreate thumbnails. That's why I think there has to be some other cache somewhere, and in my case it has duplicates in it.

As for backup, I have a Synology NAS (with 1TB RAID1 mirror) that all of my pictures are backed up to, and I use the Synology DS Photo+ app to instantly backup pictures as I take them to my NAS. Once a month, my NAS is mirrored to a 1TB USB drive.

pbergonzi
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Default pics

Quote:
Yeah, I've tried
Yeah, some of those thumbs did look pretty good.

This is not haiku.
Android in Springtime.