Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,032 Members 52,827 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Play Service battery drain cause?

Tip us?

cmajpwc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default Google Play Service battery drain cause?

I tried searching Google for battery drain related to Play Services. Up until my phone had official KitKat, even with CM11, the battery drain from play services was never this horrendous (about 36% battery usage).

The only thing I could find besides version 4.4 was the "fix" for battery drain related to location was that some Sony devices, upon upgrading to KitKat, suffered similar problems with battery.

I've come to the conclusion the RAZR HD/MAXX HD suffer from the same issue.

Downloading BetterBatteryStats I found when GPS was the only way of doing location services, the battery drain is ~1% an hour. When I had high accuracy or battery savings mode, the drain was ~3.5% an hour. This is the EXACT issue that the Xperia devices are suffering from.

So, for all those on KitKat who are experiencing battery drain, try switching to Device Only. This will utilize only GPS satellites to determine location. You will lose location based stuff in Google Now, suck as traffic or weather but your battery will last much longer.

I looked through and didn't see anything about this in any other thread, so I decided to make a new one. Hopefully Google updates Play Services to be a bit more friendly with LTE and WiFi location settings soon (I'm looking at you, I/O).

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to cmajpwc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iBolski
Old
(Last edited by iBolski; 10th June 2014 at 04:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 425
Another potential way around this is possibly using the Greenify app, if you're rooted. You'll also have to donate ($2.99 USD) but it's well worth it if you ask me. I actually used my Amazon Coins to donate that way.

With a donated version, you can hibernate system apps, but you have to be careful because hibernating certain system apps could cause other apps to no longer work (which is easy to fix - just unhibernate them). But, this is different from freezing apps. Freezing an app means you've disabled it. What Greenify does is prevent the phone from starting up apps when the screen is off (wake lock). But, you can launch the app yourself and it will fire up (albeit maybe a little slower since it wasn't pre-loaded) and then when the screen goes back off, Greenify will hibernate the apps again.

This is another way to stop apps from firing up when you're not using your phone. I've noticed Google Play services going nuts one time. A reboot cured it, but I wasn't sure what apps would have been using it. I've since Greenified some regular apps and I haven't seen it happen again.

But, Greenify is definitely something to look at. The non-donation version only allows you to greenify non-system apps, but even for those, it works really well.

You can get it at Google Play or at Amazon App store.
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast

JoseBerga
Old
Thanks Meter 40

DONATE TO ME
I haven't got issues with battery drain at the moment but I bookmarked this link of reddit and maybe it help you.

Sorry for the English

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...rain_the_real/

Enviado desde mi RAZR HD mediante Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to JoseBerga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cmajpwc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
I believe I read that thread, too. It is helpful to understand that Google Now is really what's killing the battery. I've noticed that the battery life is one again incredible on my phone after changing to device only. This allows me to still use navigation if necessary and also allows my weather extension in DashClock to work because the one I installed allows the phone to read GPS location instead of relying on my network location. So for now while I lose traffic updates and weather updates through the Google search app, it's not SO bad. I seriously hope they modify the number of times that Google pings for your location or figure out how to cause less drain on the battery, because I find the location stuff incredibly useful at times.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

fire6water
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Looking through the time line today saw this thread and remembered this app. Hopefully its helpfull
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1402413912631.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	2791056