Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Next Song command directly to ChromeCast?

OP Keenana

10th June 2014, 04:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hi, this might be a silly question as I am not entirley sure how the ChromeCast works. I understand it is basically just the phone sending a link and token/authentication to the chromecast so it can go and play whatever you are requesting, but once it is playing music using say Google Music is it aware of the whole playlist and what is next?

I guess what I am asking is once music is initiated to the Chromecast and it's playing music is there anyway to send a next song command to the Chromecast itself so it can skip to the next song in teh playlist without the command having to come from the phone? The reason I ask is I am doing a very cutomized home automation setup for my buddy and this would be great if we could send a next song etc to the chromecast itself from Eventghost or just commandline or something.

Thanks in advance!
10th June 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 316

1,846 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenana

Hi, this might be a silly question as I am not entirley sure how the ChromeCast works. I understand it is basically just the phone sending a link and token/authentication to the chromecast so it can go and play whatever you are requesting, but once it is playing music using say Google Music is it aware of the whole playlist and what is next?

I guess what I am asking is once music is initiated to the Chromecast and it's playing music is there anyway to send a next song command to the Chromecast itself so it can skip to the next song in teh playlist without the command having to come from the phone? The reason I ask is I am doing a very cutomized home automation setup for my buddy and this would be great if we could send a next song etc to the chromecast itself from Eventghost or just commandline or something.

Thanks in advance!

It is possible but to answer the question more directly, NO the CCast really has no idea what is next (in most cases) because it is not playing a playlist it is playing the song itself.

The CCast has no playlist functions of it's own so it is up to the App to work this out and it appears to be more difficult to do that I thought it would be.
10th June 2014, 05:53 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 872

2,236 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenana

I guess what I am asking is once music is initiated to the Chromecast and it's playing music is there anyway to send a next song command to the Chromecast itself so it can skip to the next song in teh playlist without the command having to come from the phone?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the playlist remains on the casting device in most cases. That's why playlists can fail if the casting device goes to deep sleep or otherwise becomes unreachable by Chromecast when the song ends. Some of the apps may have worked around this by buffering part of the playlist on Chromecast.

Since you mentioned EventGhost, I assume your automation system has a controller of some sorts. In that case I would look toward "driving" Chromecast from the controller, and letting the phone/tablet/computer send requests to the controller, rather than to Chromecast itself.

But the general availability of Chromecast on the network opens it to a lot of unknowns. If you go with centralized control of Chromecast, I would definitely put it on a different network from the general clients to avoid confusion or accidental control hijacking.
10th June 2014, 06:36 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the playlist remains on the casting device in most cases. That's why playlists can fail if the casting device goes to deep sleep or otherwise becomes unreachable by Chromecast when the song ends. Some of the apps may have worked around this by buffering part of the playlist on Chromecast.

Since you mentioned EventGhost, I assume your automation system has a controller of some sorts. In that case I would look toward "driving" Chromecast from the controller, and letting the phone/tablet/computer send requests to the controller, rather than to Chromecast itself.

But the general availability of Chromecast on the network opens it to a lot of unknowns. If you go with centralized control of Chromecast, I would definitely put it on a different network from the general clients to avoid confusion or accidental control hijacking.

Thanks for prompt replies guys, this makes sense. I didn't think it would be possible, but figured if anyone knew it would be on here.

I'll look more into managing everything centrally as suggested, that was my other plan I just thought if it was possible I could get some pretty cool stuff going but this will work.

Thanks!
10th June 2014, 07:10 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 316

1,846 posts
i think in the end the playlist functionality has to be done on the server side of things where CCast is concerned...

So the Playlist is built on the server side and the CCast Receiver merely notifies the server it is done playing a file and the server then sends the next file in the list.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread