Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,421 Members 39,175 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Mod] Enable Wifi Tethering (Recovery Flashable)

Tip us?

Pure+
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
Its unlikely they are looking at webpages and whether they were mobile format or not. The data packets are tagged as tethered, it doesn't matter whether you were viewing mobile pages or not (and that isn't going to conceal the tethering). At least that what folks here that are smarter than me have stated. If true, that means that AT&T can detect any tethering, they just choose not to enforce with zero tolerance (possibly because its simply not practical), but rather to use some additional parameters to decide whether a person is going to receive the "warning" email and subsequently have a tethering plan added to their account.

Nobody here knows for sure what parameters AT&T uses to trigger the "warning" email (and probably not info that AT&T is going to volunteer). But volume of tethered data has been reasonably speculated. I'm surprised to hear that you were able stream YouTube, other movies, and downloads, without getting caught. Could be you were just lucky; or you are in fact correct that tethered data volume is not the key indicator. Nobody except folks at AT&T know for sure.

My advice is still to keep tethered usage to a minimum, in order to stay of their radar.
If I'm just lucky then I am really damn lucky! I've been tethering for YouTube and movies for over 3 years. Granted I don't do it excessively, but probably more so than some people with actual tethering plans do. Honestly Att is a mystery to me. Maybe they are just playing nice because my family has been with them since the old Cingular Wireless days. Family has probably been with them almost 20 years now, maybe more.

Sent from my vR:M8

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure+ View Post
Maybe they are just playing nice because my family has been with them since the old Cingular Wireless days. Family has probably been with them almost 20 years now, maybe more.
I kinda have a feeling that being a longtime customer, and/or multiple lines is indeed a factor (as these things seem to have some sway with AT&T when it comes to customer service).
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

Pure+
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
I kinda have a feeling that being a longtime customer, and/or multiple lines is indeed a factor (as these things seem to have some sway with AT&T when it comes to customer service).

Haha yeah. Honestly though, I'm glad. My loyalty to them = their loyalty to me. Mutually beneficial. If I were treated like every other customer who's come on in the past couple years I'd be disappointed. Loyalty is something I believe in deeply and if it is indeed loyalty that's kept my unlimited data amongst other things, then I think that's a pretty respectable thing of AT&T. And I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I get about 3-5 new devices a year. I'm sure they love phones whores like myself