Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 44,107 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How can i update my One M8

Tip us?

or207
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default How can i update my One M8

Hey, i recently bought an Unlocked Verizon HTC One M8,
im using a gsm sim card, everything works fine, but(and i know there is not an update yet) when im going to software update it says that the phone can update only in CDMA mode,
what can i do about it?
Thanks

evltwn72
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by or207 View Post
Hey, i recently bought an Unlocked Verizon HTC One M8,
im using a gsm sim card, everything works fine, but(and i know there is not an update yet) when im going to software update it says that the phone can update only in CDMA mode,
what can i do about it?
Thanks
Do you have any friends who are on VZW and have either a Moto X or iPhone 5/5S? The reason I ask, is because those 2 phones take a nano SIM card like the M8 does. When a software update comes out, try using their SIM card in your phone to take the update. That's the easiest way I can think of.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using XDA.
EVLTWN

Current Device: HTC One M8, Nexus 7 32gb Wi-Fi (2013)
Previous Devices: OG Droid, Droid X, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR, Rezound, Xoom 4G LTE, Galaxy Nexus, Droid RAZR MAXX, Nexus 7 16gb, Droid RAZR MAXX HD, Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7 32gb Wi-Fi/3G, Galaxy S4 32gb, Moto X, Galaxy Note 3.

or207
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltwn72 View Post
Do you have any friends who are on VZW and have either a Moto X or iPhone 5/5S? The reason I ask, is because those 2 phones take a nano SIM card like the M8 does. When a software update comes out, try using their SIM card in your phone to take the update. That's the easiest way I can think of.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using XDA.
unfortunately i bought the HTC from us and in my country (israel) there is no CDMA.. there is no VZW here..

evltwn72
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
unfortunately i bought the HTC from us and in my country (israel) there is no CDMA.. there is no VZW here..
You may still be able to check it while on Wi-Fi. What does it say if you go into settings and do a software update check?

Sent from my HTC One M8
EVLTWN

Previous Devices: OG Droid, Droid X, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR, Rezound, Xoom 4G LTE, Galaxy Nexus, Droid RAZR MAXX, Nexus 7 16gb, Droid RAZR MAXX HD, Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7 32gb Wi-Fi/3G, Galaxy S4 32gb, Moto X, Galaxy Note 3.

or207
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltwn72 View Post
You may still be able to check it while on Wi-Fi. What does it say if you go into settings and do a software update check?

Sent from my HTC One M8
I can't attach photos yet apparently..
It says:
Software update only work in CDMA mode.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

evltwn72
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
I can't attach photos yet apparently..
It says:
Software update only work in CDMA mode.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app
Well you might be stuck then without rooting and ROM'ing your phone. Hopefully sometime else might know. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app
EVLTWN

JLintheTL619
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I'm pretty sure you'll have to s-off and then root your phone to push the firmware update.

the Red Viper ROM

buzzer555
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So given that my phone is in the same situation as the original poster, all I have to do is to s-off and root my phone to push the update?

How would the update be done if it's rooted? I just want to update the firmware, I have no intention of adding a custom rom or anything, just whatever sense version is the latest on verizon now

Spondronis
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzer555 View Post
So given that my phone is in the same situation as the original poster, all I have to do is to s-off and root my phone to push the update?

How would the update be done if it's rooted? I just want to update the firmware, I have no intention of adding a custom rom or anything, just whatever sense version is the latest on verizon now
Yes, you should be able to install just the firmware/radios. There is a thread in the android development section specifically for the installation of the firmware/radios. You will definitely need s-off to install them. There is also a thread on that - it's actually really easy. I had my brand new m8 s-off'd and rooted in about 20 minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Spondronis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]