Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,372 Members 39,346 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Z2 Prepurchase Questions

Tip us?

nick0x
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Z2 Prepurchase Questions

Hi!

I have finally decided to upgrade my ancient Nokia phone and am looking at the Z2

I was hoping some of you kind people could help me with some questions as the shops don't seem to be able to help....

1. Email: I have several email IMAP accounts (some accounts with multiple identities). Some of the accounts have folders with over 10000 messages (no that was not a typo ). Can the default Email application handle this?

2. Can the default calendar sync with multiple other Google calendars (e.g. mine, a generic holiday and my wifes)

3. Can the default Music application read MP3 tags and display my music by e.g. artist or albumn ? (and display media art) ?

4. Can the default Gallery application display my photos in folders e.g. by date? Or do I have to view them all at once? (which I imagine could lag after a while).

5. I know the Z2 has a stamina mode which looks excellent. Can it e.g. turn off wifi when I leave home and turn it on at the office?

6. Can I configure the phone to store photos, videos (and for those applications that support it e.g. maps) on the SD card by default?

7. Can I deactivate applications that I don't use (and will that survive a reboot). I am aware I can't fully remove applications unless I root the phone.

8. Is there any difference in time between charging the phone via USB or magenetic charger?

9. Can I customise the home screen i.e. its not locked down is it?

Thanks very much!

lyubor
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
No idea about 1, 2 but a yes on everything else. 5 can be solved using location based wifi. The difference between magnetic charger and USB is that you can't transfer data through magnetic port. Apart from that charging speeds are the same. And no home screens can be fully customised.
Hope that's enough info for you, I'm loving my Z2 and would recommend it over any other flagship this year to anyone.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to lyubor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

King Cole
Old
Thanks Meter 21
1 is possible in terms of the several IMAP accounts, and I doubt you'd see any issue with lag from having 10,000 emails (though I wouldn't know exactly, as my largest one is around ~2,000). The application doesn't load them all at once though, so I don't think there'd be any issues with that.
2 is something I do on the daily. I have an appointments calendar, my workout calendar, my school calendar, and a holidays calendar, and they all sync fine.
3 yes.
4 yes, folders are a thing, but I have several thousand pictures, and if I choose to view them all at once, it works flawlessly.
5 is a no, *I think*. I don't use stamina mode, and I get at least 30 hours of battery life with pretty heavy texting regardless, so...
6 yes.
7 yes, and even though you can't fully remove a few applications without root, most all of them can be disabled without root.
8 no, not that I know of. I use both, and they both charge pretty fast.
9 yes, not locked down.
Phones
Xperia ion - Retired
Galaxy S4 - Backup phone (slightly cracked screen)
Xperia Z2 - Current phone

Tablets
Xoom 4G - Retired
The Following User Says Thank You to King Cole For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

se1000
Old
Thanks Meter 190
#5 - there's a built in function that turns off wifi when you're out of range of saved wifi networks and then turns the back on when you are in range again. Works well.
The Following User Says Thank You to se1000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nick0x
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks all for the replies