Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Specs on second sim on Moto G dual-sim version

OP evildave_666

3rd February 2014, 03:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Tokyo
Thanks Meter: 139

726 posts
More
Is the second SIM WCDMA 3G voice capable or is it only GSM as most dual-sim phones out there?

I can't seem to find any information on it, and this is an important piece of data for people living in countries with no 2G GSM network.
3rd February 2014, 03:42 AM   |  #2  
Flag Belém
Thanks Meter: 9

26 posts
More
The second sim is GSM.

Enviado do meu XT1033
3rd February 2014, 04:05 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Tokyo
Thanks Meter: 139

726 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdiniz

The second sim is GSM.

Enviado do meu XT1033

In other words, useless for Japan (where all voice calls go over WCDMA and there is no GSM network).
Last edited by evildave_666; 3rd February 2014 at 04:09 AM.
10th June 2014, 09:03 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Info 2 Clarification
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildave_666

In other words, useless for Japan (where all voice calls go over WCDMA and there is no GSM network).

You are right in that it is useless in Japan. However, just to clarify the issue: Both SIM slots are 3g capable, but the phone forces the SIM card that is not used for data to 2g mode. Only one of the SIMs can be used for data at a time, just as you can only send texts or make voice calls through one at a time so it makes sense in any other country...

What is not clear is whether this is a Motorola decision to save battery or imposed by the chip set used or an Android OS issue. Covia Fleaphone has same issue, and provides a shortcut to switch the active SIM (active=3g enabled SIM), so it seems to be not just a Motorola decision...

A
10th June 2014, 10:03 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 145

529 posts
I believe it has only one 3g radio in it and used by whatever Sim is being used for data So its a hardware issue

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
11th June 2014, 02:09 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspreet997

I believe it has only one 3g radio in it and used by whatever Sim is being used for data So its a hardware issue

Sounds about right... It is a real pity how bad the documentation/specifications info is on dual sim phones. Make it very difficult to pick the right one, several people now claim that the Xperia M2 works with 3g on both SIMs simultaneously, but can't verify this...

At the same time I guess Japan (where I use it) is an unusual case, most places still have 2g, and Japan only recently started selling separate SIMs...

A
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread