Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,130 Members 53,123 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS on N9005 solution that worked for me!

Tip us?

Daxded
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Smile GPS on N9005 solution that worked for me!

...hello friends...I am writing this for all of you people that have a problem with GPS signal on your beloved Note 3 N9005...
...when I received my Note 3 for 4G LTE network, I didn't know that I will have any problems with GPS signal...although there is no LTE network in my country yet, there should not be a problem with GPS signal...so I have searched a little bit and found application that was the solution for my problem...
...anyway...let's start...I just want to say "Thanks" to the developers of the application...crypted and Zatta
Please follow link bellow to download application...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2198319

I did the following things in order to fix GPS signal...
1) You need to have rooted phone - there are plenty of links on the xda, I done my rooting from this link without any problems... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2466423
2) Download TopNTP 1.0.4 application from the link provided
3) Place the application on your external SD card
4) Before instalation go to /system folder on your internal memory and mount rw for that folder manualy - you can do it by installing for example total commander app from the google market it is free...then go to buttons and create button with internal command, 119 Remount...it will create button that can be used for mounting rw partition...or you can use root explorer...
5) Install TopNTP application
6) Reboot your phone
7) Start application and go with already default settings...click on Install button
8) Save and reboot again
9) Try your GPS now...
10) If this is not working try with settings for your country and put General insetead of Derek Gordon's server, save and again reebot

THAT'S IT FOLKS!!!
There will be stored one backup file of your gps.conf file, don't delete anything...

I hope it will help your device to work as it should...maybe this will help someone...also...there is a full description of application and changelog for older versions...so check it if you want...

Thank you all...Cheers!!!

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxded View Post
...hello friends...I am writing this for all of you people that have a problem with GPS signal on your beloved Note 3 N9005...
...when I received my Note 3 for 4G LTE network, I didn't know that I will have any problems with GPS signal...although there is no LTE network in my country yet, there should not be a problem with GPS signal...so I have searched a little bit and found application that was the solution for my problem...
...anyway...let's start...I just want to say "Thanks" to the developers of the application...crypted and Zatta
Please follow link bellow to download application...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2198319

I did the following things in order to fix GPS signal...
1) You need to have rooted phone - there are plenty of links on the xda, I done my rooting from this link without any problems... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2466423
2) Download TopNTP 1.0.4 application from the link provided
3) Place the application on your external SD card
4) Before instalation go to /system folder on your internal memory and mount rw for that folder manualy - you can do it by installing for example total commander app from the google market it is free...then go to buttons and create button with internal command, 119 Remount...it will create button that can be used for mounting rw partition...or you can use root explorer...
5) Install TopNTP application
6) Reboot your phone
7) Start application and go with already default settings...click on Install button
8) Save and reboot again
9) Try your GPS now...
10) If this is not working try with settings for your country and put General insetead of Derek Gordon's server, save and again reebot

THAT'S IT FOLKS!!!
There will be stored one backup file of your gps.conf file, don't delete anything...

I hope it will help your device to work as it should...maybe this will help someone...also...there is a full description of application and changelog for older versions...so check it if you want...

Thank you all...Cheers!!!

Can you please post here your /system/etc/gps.conf file? Just out of curiosity.
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7

Daxded
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default gps.conf file

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclub_101 View Post
Can you please post here your /system/etc/gps.conf file? Just out of curiosity.
...hello there friend...check the file attached...
Attached Files
File Type: txt gps.conf.txt - [Click for QR Code] (2.1 KB, 52 views)

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 306
Quote:
...hello there friend...check the file attached...
Thank you - can you also post the bak file in /storage/emulated/0/TopNTP?

Daxded
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default TopNTP backup file

Quote:
Thank you - can you also post the bak file in /storage/emulated/0/TopNTP?

...file is attached... enjoy...regards!
Attached Files
File Type: txt gps.conf.bak.txt - [Click for QR Code] (2.1 KB, 18 views)

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 306
Quote:
...file is attached... enjoy...regards!
0) Thank you!

1) Their program is still buggy - both for me and for you (your two files are the same) the program failed to replace /system/etc/gps.conf with their configuration that is somewhere in /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files I have also attached a (slightly modified) file that was there for me.

2) I have manually forced that file over /system/etc/gps.conf (with Total Commander - I think I am a registered user of the PC Total Commander for like 15 years now ) and I am going to test more tomorrow but to be honest the tests so far show that things are definitely not getting better with their TopNTP program on N9005
Attached Files
File Type: txt gps.conf.txt - [Click for QR Code] (1.1 KB, 34 views)

Daxded
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
0) Thank you!

1) Their program is still buggy - both for me and for you (your two files are the same) the program failed to replace /system/etc/gps.conf with their configuration that is somewhere in /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files I have also attached a (slightly modified) file that was there for me.

2) I have manually forced that file over /system/etc/gps.conf (with Total Commander - I think I am a registered user of the PC Total Commander for like 15 years now ) and I am going to test more tomorrow but to be honest the tests so far show that things are definitely not getting better with their TopNTP program on N9005
...Thank you for your gps.conf file... ...you are right, their program is a little buggy...anyhow, I have tried several different things with x-note rom, alexander rom, hawkish, etc... and also with some other apps from apkmania, but the only application that somehow sucessfully managed to catch the gps signal was TopNTP...
...I tested all on my trip to the job, and back to my home...and it is working...I tested it with google maps as well as with Sygic maps...again it is working...I also checked the files you ask from me to post...they are the same...probably software reads configuration from /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files... and maybe app developers will do something to improve their software in near future...in order to save the gps.conf file directly to the /system folder...I hope...because that would be excelent...once again thanx for help and comments... cheers!

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 306
Quote:
...Thank you for your gps.conf file... ...you are right, their program is a little buggy...anyhow, I have tried several different things with x-note rom, alexander rom, hawkish, etc... and also with some other apps from apkmania, but the only application that somehow sucessfully managed to catch the gps signal was TopNTP...
...I tested all on my trip to the job, and back to my home...and it is working...I tested it with google maps as well as with Sygic maps...again it is working...I also checked the files you ask from me to post...they are the same...probably software reads configuration from /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files... and maybe app developers will do something to improve their software in near future...in order to save the gps.conf file directly to the /system folder...I hope...because that would be excelent...once again thanx for help and comments... cheers!
No, the (otherwise perfectly normal Linux) device driver does not read the configuration from /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files, you are using the same gps.conf as you did before (and just like everybody else you get it from /system/etc) but since there are so many factors involved the placebo effect has completely mixed your findings.

If you want to test the other configuration go on your phone to /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files and copy that one over original gps.conf (Total Commander will tell you about remounting RW) and then reboot. Test it on average at least a week and see if things are clearly different than now.

In my phone it is increasingly clear that there is certainly no improvement.

Daxded
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
No, the (otherwise perfectly normal Linux) device driver does not read the configuration from /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files, you are using the same gps.conf as you did before (and just like everybody else you get it from /system/etc) but since there are so many factors involved the placebo effect has completely mixed your findings.

If you want to test the other configuration go on your phone to /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files and copy that one over original gps.conf (Total Commander will tell you about remounting RW) and then reboot. Test it on average at least a week and see if things are clearly different than now.

In my phone it is increasingly clear that there is certainly no improvement.
bro...i think I have find solution for you... ...Install this app called GPS Status & Toolbox Pro...you can find download link easy, but if you can't PM me, I will send it to you... when you install it reset AGPS and download new definitions, then use TopNTP, you will see that settings are changed, and gps will work for you...please send me feedback if it work...regards!