[Q] Preventing automatic update of Google apps?

11th June 2014, 07:49 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

120 posts
I would like to stay with Google Maps 6.14.4 as it is the one that plain works as I want it to (simple, easy to use, fast, precise(!)). This is the version I have in my rom.

My problem is this: Something is automatically updating my Google Maps to version 8!

I think it is related to the last release of Google Play Store which I am also trying to downgrade as it doesn't list an apps new permission requirements in red or marked with 'new' anymore. This causes people to install apps believing it doesn't require new permissions when in fact it does and now can spy even more on the user. Something is also autoupdating Google Play Store quite agressively (i.e. sometimes it is updated within seconds of being downgraded and usually every time I open it). Of course I have setup Google Play Store to not update my apps at all but as even the play store is updated despite this, something must force this upgrade!

So, how do I stop Google Maps (and Google Play Store) from being upgraded? Can I hack my android to prevent this from happening? I do have it rooted if that can help.

I am very frustrated with the Google offerings lately. They make stuff worse all the time for no obvious reason.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread