Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,129 Members 45,679 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problem flashing custom recovery

Tip us?

mzheng086
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Question [Q] Problem flashing custom recovery

I have tried different versions of Odin to flash TWRP or CWM recovery, with no luck so far. Although Odin says it successfully flashed custom recovery, the phone still boots into stock recovery.

Here is what Odin said:

<ID:0/009> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> GT-I8190_CWM_6.0.4.9.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/009> Odin v.3 engine (ID:9)..
<ID:0/009> File analysis..
<ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/009> Initialzation..
<ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/009> recovery.img
<ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/009> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/009> RES OK !!
<ID:0/009> Completed..

After this, when I reboot my phone into recovery, I would see stock recovery displaying the following message:

# MANUAL MODE #
-- Applying Multi-CSC --
Applied the CSC-Code : CNX
Successfully applied multi-CSC.

The background image is a robot lying on the floor with a big exclamation mark.

I repeated flashing for several times, with the same result. I didn't enable any option except "auto-reboot" or "F. reset time".

I tried flashing CM11. But the phone will not boot and stuck at boot animation.

I received this phone today, which I purchased online. It is I8190. I was assured that it is unlocked.

Please help me!

xXPR0T0TYPEXx
Old
Thanks Meter 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzheng086 View Post
I have tried different versions of Odin to flash TWRP or CWM recovery, with no luck so far. Although Odin says it successfully flashed custom recovery, the phone still boots into stock recovery.

Here is what Odin said:

<ID:0/009> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> GT-I8190_CWM_6.0.4.9.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/009> Odin v.3 engine (ID:9)..
<ID:0/009> File analysis..
<ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/009> Initialzation..
<ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/009> recovery.img
<ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/009> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/009> RES OK !!
<ID:0/009> Completed..

After this, when I reboot my phone into recovery, I would see stock recovery displaying the following message:

# MANUAL MODE #
-- Applying Multi-CSC --
Applied the CSC-Code : CNX
Successfully applied multi-CSC.

The background image is a robot lying on the floor with a big exclamation mark.

I repeated flashing for several times, with the same result. I didn't enable any option except "auto-reboot" or "F. reset time".

I tried flashing CM11. But the phone will not boot and stuck at boot animation.

I received this phone today, which I purchased online. It is I8190. I was assured that it is unlocked.

Please help me!
If you can access the download mode then do first flash a original signed stock firmware from sammobile.com/firmware with odin3 after that go to recovery and do a factory reset. (Better is if you do a factory reset before you begin to flash a new ROM.)

I think your phone can't replace the stock recovery with a custom recovery but there is a way to flash a custom recovery with root access and ROM manager.

1. Download vROOT from here : products.mgyun.com/api/downjump?id=103 (xda thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2459910) and root your phone via PC (enable USB debugging first)

2. Replace the chinese superuser app with SuperSU from play store

3. After that download ROM manager and flash CWM

4. Done you will have CWM installed and you can starting flash custom ROMs

If you have questions then tell it
The Following User Says Thank You to xXPR0T0TYPEXx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mzheng086
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXPR0T0TYPEXx View Post
If you can access the download mode then do first flash a original signed stock firmware from sammobile.com/firmware with odin3 after that go to recovery and do a factory reset. (Better is if you do a factory reset before you begin to flash a new ROM.)

I think your phone can't replace the stock recovery with a custom recovery but there is a way to flash a custom recovery with root access and ROM manager.

1. Download vROOT from here : products.mgyun.com/api/downjump?id=103 (xda thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2459910) and root your phone via PC (enable USB debugging first)

2. Replace the chinese superuser app with SuperSU from play store

3. After that download ROM manager and flash CWM

4. Done you will have CWM installed and you can starting flash custom ROMs

If you have questions then tell it
Thanks for the quick reply. I did try using Rom Manager while the phone was still on stock system. However, Rom Manager reported "An error occured while flashing your recovery". And my phone was rooted when this error occured.

Now I am downloading the oldest firmware I can find from the list you gave me. I will try to flash custom recovery via ADB or Odin, once I have the firmware on my device. Will report back.

Please tell me if you have new ideas.

xXPR0T0TYPEXx
Old
Thanks Meter 178
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I did try using Rom Manager while the phone was still on stock system. However, Rom Manager reported "An error occured while flashing your recovery". And my phone was rooted when this error occured.

Now I am downloading the oldest firmware I can find from the list you gave me. I will try to flash custom recovery via ADB or Odin, once I have the firmware on my device. Will report back.

Please tell me if you have new ideas.
You also can flash custom recoverys with [ROOT]Rashr - Flash tool (link to play store : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....recoverytools) it also can flash TWRP recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to xXPR0T0TYPEXx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mzheng086
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
This worked like a charm. You are my HERO! I can't believe my phone finally boots into CM11. You've made my day (or night)!
The Following User Says Thank You to mzheng086 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xXPR0T0TYPEXx
Old
Thanks Meter 178
Quote:
This worked like a charm. You are my HERO! I can't believe my phone finally boots into CM11. You've made my day (or night)!
You're welcome