Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,457 Members 51,775 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Slow charge, 5h +

Tip us?

#LOUDmouth#
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] Slow charge, 5h +

Got my Z2 a few days ago. Charged it with the bundled EP880 + 3rd party magnetic cable until the led went green and thern started it for the first time.

Plugged it in for the the second charge almost two hours ago when at 10% and its now at 32%. 30mins ago Gsam Battery Monitor showed 4h untill fully charged but i just checked it now and all of a sudden it says 8h untill fully charged.

This cant be right?

/#LOUDmouth#

Jackos
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by #LOUDmouth# View Post
Got my Z2 a few days ago. Charged it with the bundled EP880 + 3rd party magnetic cable until the led went green and thern started it for the first time.

Plugged it in for the the second charge almost two hours ago when at 10% and its now at 32%. 30mins ago Gsam Battery Monitor showed 4h untill fully charged but i just checked it now and all of a sudden it says 8h untill fully charged.

This cant be right?

/#LOUDmouth#
This doesn't seem right at all. You should test it using another charger (1-2A).
Read my reviews and editorials at ION!
"From my experience - it looks like the most popular ROMs have the worst memory management " - ultrashot

Primary: Sony Xperia Z2 D6503

Sold: Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, HTC Sensation Z710e, HTC Touch Pro2 T7373 (Sold to Skrobel)

Haswell RIG: MSI Z87 MPOWER; Intel Core i7-4770K; Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz CL11 16GB; 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX w/ backplate SLI; Intel SSD 530 Series 180GB + Samsung SSD EVO 840 250GB; 2x WDC Black 3TB RAID0; CHIEFTEC BPS-750C2; Fractal Design Define R3 w/ USB3; Logitech G700s + Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800; Samsung PX2370; Windows 8.1 RTM Genuine

#LOUDmouth#
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackos View Post
This doesn't seem right at all. You should test it using another charger (1-2A).
Just uninstalled Gsam Battery Monitor and rebooted the phone while still charging. I'm gonna let it charge for a while and see if it speeds up.

I only have access to E800 (850mah) and EP750 (700mah). But is it ok to interrupt/restarting/interrupt etc. the charging? I thought that might harm the battery.

/#LOUDmouth#

Jackos
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 487
Quote:
But is it ok to interrupt/restarting/interrupt etc. the charging? I thought that might harm the battery.

No worries.
"From my experience - it looks like the most popular ROMs have the worst memory management " - ultrashot

Sold: Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, HTC Sensation Z710e, HTC Touch Pro2 T7373 (Sold to Skrobel)

Haswell RIG: MSI Z87 MPOWER; Intel Core i7-4770K; Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz CL11 16GB; 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX w/ backplate SLI; Intel SSD 530 Series 180GB + Samsung SSD EVO 840 250GB; 2x WDC Black 3TB RAID0; CHIEFTEC BPS-750C2; Fractal Design Define R3 w/ USB3; Logitech G700s + Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800; Samsung PX2370; Windows 8.1 RTM Genuine

#LOUDmouth#
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Mystery solved, case closed. Seems that the 3rd party magnetic cable was the culprit.

/#LOUDmouth#

Jackos
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 487
Quote:
Mystery solved, case closed. Seems that the 3rd party magnetic cable was the culprit.

/#LOUDmouth#
Glad it worked out

naujoks
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Yes, I never understood how the cables can make such a difference with charging speed, but they do.
I chucked out all my cheap ones for that reason.

Jackos
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by naujoks View Post
Yes, I never understood how the cables can make such a difference with charging speed, but they do.
I chucked out all my cheap ones for that reason.
Usually devices have modules that detect "unstable charging current". I don't know if Z2 has one, as I'm quite new to the device itself.

#LOUDmouth#
Old
(Last edited by #LOUDmouth#; 17th May 2014 at 07:34 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:

/#LOUDmouth#
Hmm! Mystery continues, case reopened

After waiting hours and the battery only charged to approx. 70% i changed to the stock micro-usb cable and hey presto, battery charged full. Thats why i thought i solved the mystery.

And then i got a replacement magnetic cable sent to me and the first charge with the "new" cable went normal. Then the second charge same problem as before. From 30% to 70% in 4h and this time i changed to the micro-usb but it didnt help, the slow charge continued. By this time i tried a different micro-usb cable, a different EP880 charger, numerous reboots etc. and finally i got it charging at normal speed again. Because i tried pretty much everything its hard to say what it was that did the trick

Its all really confusing, especially since i havent really read/heard about similar problems. I'm beginning to think its my phone thats faulty. Maybe the magnetic connector or the battery. But i'm not keen on waiting while its being analyzed/repaired

Anyone knows if Sony has a DOA-policy i can claim when heading down to the Telia-shop to claim a instant swap?

/#LOUDmouth#

Moose67
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Question Same problem

Quote:
Hmm! Mystery continues, case reopened

After waiting hours and the battery only charged to approx. 70% i changed to the stock micro-usb cable and hey presto, battery charged full. Thats why i thought i solved the mystery.

And then i got a replacement magnetic cable sent to me and the first charge with the "new" cable went normal. Then the second charge same problem as before. From 30% to 70% in 4h and this time i changed to the micro-usb but it didnt help, the slow charge continued. By this time i tried a different micro-usb cable, a different EP880 charger, numerous reboots etc. and finally i got it charging at normal speed again. Because i tried pretty much everything its hard to say what it was that did the trick

Its all really confusing, especially since i havent really read/heard about similar problems. I'm beginning to think its my phone thats faulty. Maybe the magnetic connector or the battery. But i'm not keen on waiting while its being analyzed/repaired

Anyone knows if Sony has a DOA-policy i can claim when heading down to the Telia-shop to claim a instant swap?

/#LOUDmouth#
... did you get anywhere with this? I've had a problem with my mag charge cables too... I've used various combinations of chargers and cables and isolated the magnetic charge cable as the problem, just wondered if LOUDmouth or anyone else has a solution or knows of a good branded cable that works? Last thing I want to do is keep opening the micro-USB port to charge it - I suspect that will lead to a watery grave for the Z2!!

Cheers, Moose