Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,457 Members 51,775 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Slow charge, 5h +

Tip us?
 
#LOUDmouth#
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 22
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default [Q] Slow charge, 5h +

Got my Z2 a few days ago. Charged it with the bundled EP880 + 3rd party magnetic cable until the led went green and thern started it for the first time.

Plugged it in for the the second charge almost two hours ago when at 10% and its now at 32%. 30mins ago Gsam Battery Monitor showed 4h untill fully charged but i just checked it now and all of a sudden it says 8h untill fully charged.

This cant be right?

/#LOUDmouth#
 
Jackos
Old
#2  
Jackos's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 487
Posts: 3,541
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by #LOUDmouth# View Post
Got my Z2 a few days ago. Charged it with the bundled EP880 + 3rd party magnetic cable until the led went green and thern started it for the first time.

Plugged it in for the the second charge almost two hours ago when at 10% and its now at 32%. 30mins ago Gsam Battery Monitor showed 4h untill fully charged but i just checked it now and all of a sudden it says 8h untill fully charged.

This cant be right?

/#LOUDmouth#
This doesn't seem right at all. You should test it using another charger (1-2A).
Read my reviews and editorials at ION!
"From my experience - it looks like the most popular ROMs have the worst memory management " - ultrashot

Primary: Sony Xperia Z2 D6503

Sold: Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, HTC Sensation Z710e, HTC Touch Pro2 T7373 (Sold to Skrobel)

Haswell RIG: MSI Z87 MPOWER; Intel Core i7-4770K; Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz CL11 16GB; 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX w/ backplate SLI; Intel SSD 530 Series 180GB + Samsung SSD EVO 840 250GB; 2x WDC Black 3TB RAID0; CHIEFTEC BPS-750C2; Fractal Design Define R3 w/ USB3; Logitech G700s + Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800; Samsung PX2370; Windows 8.1 RTM Genuine

 
#LOUDmouth#
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 22
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackos View Post
This doesn't seem right at all. You should test it using another charger (1-2A).
Just uninstalled Gsam Battery Monitor and rebooted the phone while still charging. I'm gonna let it charge for a while and see if it speeds up.

I only have access to E800 (850mah) and EP750 (700mah). But is it ok to interrupt/restarting/interrupt etc. the charging? I thought that might harm the battery.

/#LOUDmouth#
 
Jackos
Old
#4  
Jackos's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 487
Posts: 3,541
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by #LOUDmouth# View Post
But is it ok to interrupt/restarting/interrupt etc. the charging? I thought that might harm the battery.

No worries.
Read my reviews and editorials at ION!
"From my experience - it looks like the most popular ROMs have the worst memory management " - ultrashot

Primary: Sony Xperia Z2 D6503

Sold: Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, HTC Sensation Z710e, HTC Touch Pro2 T7373 (Sold to Skrobel)

Haswell RIG: MSI Z87 MPOWER; Intel Core i7-4770K; Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz CL11 16GB; 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX w/ backplate SLI; Intel SSD 530 Series 180GB + Samsung SSD EVO 840 250GB; 2x WDC Black 3TB RAID0; CHIEFTEC BPS-750C2; Fractal Design Define R3 w/ USB3; Logitech G700s + Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800; Samsung PX2370; Windows 8.1 RTM Genuine

 
#LOUDmouth#
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 22
Join Date: Mar 2012
Mystery solved, case closed. Seems that the 3rd party magnetic cable was the culprit.

/#LOUDmouth#
 
Jackos
Old
#6  
Jackos's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 487
Posts: 3,541
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by #LOUDmouth# View Post
Mystery solved, case closed. Seems that the 3rd party magnetic cable was the culprit.

/#LOUDmouth#
Glad it worked out
Read my reviews and editorials at ION!
"From my experience - it looks like the most popular ROMs have the worst memory management " - ultrashot

Primary: Sony Xperia Z2 D6503

Sold: Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, HTC Sensation Z710e, HTC Touch Pro2 T7373 (Sold to Skrobel)

Haswell RIG: MSI Z87 MPOWER; Intel Core i7-4770K; Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz CL11 16GB; 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX w/ backplate SLI; Intel SSD 530 Series 180GB + Samsung SSD EVO 840 250GB; 2x WDC Black 3TB RAID0; CHIEFTEC BPS-750C2; Fractal Design Define R3 w/ USB3; Logitech G700s + Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800; Samsung PX2370; Windows 8.1 RTM Genuine

 
naujoks
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 109
Join Date: May 2006
Yes, I never understood how the cables can make such a difference with charging speed, but they do.
I chucked out all my cheap ones for that reason.
 
Jackos
Old
#8  
Jackos's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 487
Posts: 3,541
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by naujoks View Post
Yes, I never understood how the cables can make such a difference with charging speed, but they do.
I chucked out all my cheap ones for that reason.
Usually devices have modules that detect "unstable charging current". I don't know if Z2 has one, as I'm quite new to the device itself.
Read my reviews and editorials at ION!
"From my experience - it looks like the most popular ROMs have the worst memory management " - ultrashot

Primary: Sony Xperia Z2 D6503

Sold: Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, HTC Sensation Z710e, HTC Touch Pro2 T7373 (Sold to Skrobel)

Haswell RIG: MSI Z87 MPOWER; Intel Core i7-4770K; Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz CL11 16GB; 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX w/ backplate SLI; Intel SSD 530 Series 180GB + Samsung SSD EVO 840 250GB; 2x WDC Black 3TB RAID0; CHIEFTEC BPS-750C2; Fractal Design Define R3 w/ USB3; Logitech G700s + Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800; Samsung PX2370; Windows 8.1 RTM Genuine

 
#LOUDmouth#
Old
(Last edited by #LOUDmouth#; 17th May 2014 at 07:34 PM.)
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 22
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by #LOUDmouth# View Post
Mystery solved, case closed. Seems that the 3rd party magnetic cable was the culprit.

/#LOUDmouth#
Hmm! Mystery continues, case reopened

After waiting hours and the battery only charged to approx. 70% i changed to the stock micro-usb cable and hey presto, battery charged full. Thats why i thought i solved the mystery.

And then i got a replacement magnetic cable sent to me and the first charge with the "new" cable went normal. Then the second charge same problem as before. From 30% to 70% in 4h and this time i changed to the micro-usb but it didnt help, the slow charge continued. By this time i tried a different micro-usb cable, a different EP880 charger, numerous reboots etc. and finally i got it charging at normal speed again. Because i tried pretty much everything its hard to say what it was that did the trick

Its all really confusing, especially since i havent really read/heard about similar problems. I'm beginning to think its my phone thats faulty. Maybe the magnetic connector or the battery. But i'm not keen on waiting while its being analyzed/repaired

Anyone knows if Sony has a DOA-policy i can claim when heading down to the Telia-shop to claim a instant swap?

/#LOUDmouth#
 
Moose67
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jun 2014
Question Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by #LOUDmouth# View Post
Hmm! Mystery continues, case reopened

After waiting hours and the battery only charged to approx. 70% i changed to the stock micro-usb cable and hey presto, battery charged full. Thats why i thought i solved the mystery.

And then i got a replacement magnetic cable sent to me and the first charge with the "new" cable went normal. Then the second charge same problem as before. From 30% to 70% in 4h and this time i changed to the micro-usb but it didnt help, the slow charge continued. By this time i tried a different micro-usb cable, a different EP880 charger, numerous reboots etc. and finally i got it charging at normal speed again. Because i tried pretty much everything its hard to say what it was that did the trick

Its all really confusing, especially since i havent really read/heard about similar problems. I'm beginning to think its my phone thats faulty. Maybe the magnetic connector or the battery. But i'm not keen on waiting while its being analyzed/repaired

Anyone knows if Sony has a DOA-policy i can claim when heading down to the Telia-shop to claim a instant swap?

/#LOUDmouth#
... did you get anywhere with this? I've had a problem with my mag charge cables too... I've used various combinations of chargers and cables and isolated the magnetic charge cable as the problem, just wondered if LOUDmouth or anyone else has a solution or knows of a good branded cable that works? Last thing I want to do is keep opening the micro-USB port to charge it - I suspect that will lead to a watery grave for the Z2!!

Cheers, Moose

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Android App Review: How to Speed Up Your Android Phone – XDA Developer TV

Is your Android device running slow? Is your Android device … more

Make a Pre-Rooted Stock Sony ROMs in Just Few Clicks

Many usersdon’t see any particular reason to change out the stock firmware … more

Add Timestamps to Xposed Installer Logs with… Xposed!

If talking about the most interesting projects in the last few years, we must … more

Secrecy Goes Open Source, Assures File Encryption

As some of you may remember, a while back we spoke about Secrecy, an effective file … more