[Q] Firmware ala Nexus 5?

20 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
By isitafox, Junior Member on 11th June 2014, 10:57 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I've tried looking through the development forum but couldn't see the wood for the trees so I thought I'd ask in here, is there a completely vanilla (is that still the term?) stock Kitkat rom available? I'm talking bog standard Nexus 5 affair?
Just got my wife a Nexus as she was finally due an upgrade, I wanted one but couldn't wait, and the firmware is immense so wondered if I could get the same setup on my Z1 or is it not to be?
11th June 2014, 11:00 AM |#2  
Forum Moderator
Flag King Grumpy Lord from Frown Town, Grumpy Land
Thanks Meter: 5,279
Donate to Me
You will need to look in the original development section
And you will need to be able to unlock the bootloader to flash a custom kernel.
11th June 2014, 03:46 PM |#3  
Flag Madurai
Thanks Meter: 49
@isitafox You could get the Nexus 5 looks and Experience by using Custom Roms but for that as gregbradley said you have to unlock your bootloader which means your WARRENTY IS VOID.

So be a bit careful before you decide to unlock your bootloader. You Want to get the NEXUS 5 looks then well use some launcher like Google Now Launcher, etc.

Still you wanna risk your phone's warrenty to get the same OS as that of the Nexus 5 then, well go on and unlock your bootloader.

There are many AOSP Roms out there in the Original Development Forum. Most of them has all the Nexus 5 OS features. CM 11 has just the same OS as Nexus 5. Other AOSP Roms, like SlimKat, Carbon, AOKP, PAC, etc. have their own features and pros and cons. So, Go around have a look, find which one would suit you, then decide on it.

Hope it helped.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Previous Thread Next Thread