Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,867 Members 41,411 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Firmware ala Nexus 5?

Tip us?

isitafox
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Firmware ala Nexus 5?

I've tried looking through the development forum but couldn't see the wood for the trees so I thought I'd ask in here, is there a completely vanilla (is that still the term?) stock Kitkat rom available? I'm talking bog standard Nexus 5 affair?
Just got my wife a Nexus as she was finally due an upgrade, I wanted one but couldn't wait, and the firmware is immense so wondered if I could get the same setup on my Z1 or is it not to be?

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3732
You will need to look in the original development section
And you will need to be able to unlock the bootloader to flash a custom kernel.

How to get root on Xperia Z1 with KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 & 4.4.4

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.

Gladwin_Prince
Old
Thanks Meter 22
@isitafox You could get the Nexus 5 looks and Experience by using Custom Roms but for that as gregbradley said you have to unlock your bootloader which means your WARRENTY IS VOID.

So be a bit careful before you decide to unlock your bootloader. You Want to get the NEXUS 5 looks then well use some launcher like Google Now Launcher, etc.

Still you wanna risk your phone's warrenty to get the same OS as that of the Nexus 5 then, well go on and unlock your bootloader.

There are many AOSP Roms out there in the Original Development Forum. Most of them has all the Nexus 5 OS features. CM 11 has just the same OS as Nexus 5. Other AOSP Roms, like SlimKat, Carbon, AOKP, PAC, etc. have their own features and pros and cons. So, Go around have a look, find which one would suit you, then decide on it.

Hope it helped.
Phone: Xperia Z1(C6902)
Sony: Make.Believe