Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Next OS

OP malinda72

10th June 2014, 11:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

48 posts
Please Sony next OS Android Wear!!
10th June 2014, 01:27 PM   |  #2  
Flag Eindhoven
Thanks Meter: 75

504 posts
More
i doubt Sony is reading XDA topics
10th June 2014, 01:36 PM   |  #3  
Flag Nancy, Lorraine
Thanks Meter: 55

246 posts
Sony said there are not interested by Wear

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
10th June 2014, 08:21 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 56

220 posts
Android wear has nothing like Sony's widgets. Wear uses cell phone hardware. Look at the specs running on something like galaxy gear or LG and look at SW2's specs, Sony's OS is wayyy smaller footprint. It runs great on Tiny slow hardware. I don't think we should need an OS like android to do stuff like being a phone extension. Also, based on what I've seen, Android Wear will probably not have devices with always-on screens, or at least neither Moto 360, not the LG one. (correction: LG G watch screen is indeed always on)

I doubt google will have a widget interface we can edit like ours. Pebble has Canvas, which is what I think Sony was partly inspired by. Canvas is a separate app and I think that something like Canvas should be an integrated part of the OS and Sony's got it integrated.

Android Wear is in it's infancy, and it's got to start from scratch. Sony's next watch will be a 4th generation Smartwatch. (even more if you consider Sony Ericsson watches like the MBW-150) So think of where they will go now, with the next major update. Android wear on the other hand is going to be spending the next few years fixing bugs and bringing basic features like SDK access to certain APIs that our wacth already has had since day one.

I wouldn't mind if sony licensed it's Smartwatch OS to other manufacturers as an Android Wear competitor.
Last edited by kill_dano; 11th June 2014 at 06:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kill_dano For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2014, 09:05 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 72

239 posts
The SW2 does a lot more than android wear, which is basically just google now + rich notifications. The same rich notifications made for android wear can be supported on the SW2 as well with the proper app. I don't know if it would be possible to get google now on a 3rd party watch.
11th June 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 56

220 posts
And honestly Google Now is not very useful, at least for me. Sure, I use it to search, (which you can do with many watches already) and I like when it finds answers to my questions with out giving me google search results, but the card interface have never been very helpful. It mostly feeds me ads. I already have weather apps. I already have calendar and appointment reminders. I already have an app to send text and emails. All google now lets me do is have an alternate way to do these things, by talking to it and praying I remembered the correct phrase to get it to do what I want.

Now look at the new battery specs of the LG G watch. this is what android bring to the table: 400mAH battery that gives you 36 hours on standby... standby. That's when you're not doing anything with the watch. Both Pebble (130mAH) and Sony(140mAH) use tiny footprint OSs that don't need these huge batteries. Pebble can last 7 days in stand by and sony can last 4. Imagine how long they would last with 400mAH batteries. compare the size of a pebble steel to the Moto 360. Android Wear watches are not going to be small any time soon, IMO.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kill_dano For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread