FORUMS

AOSP 5.1 Lollipop for Nexus Q

Google Nexus Q is an intriguing device released with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It was abandoned by … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Glimpse Notifications: Easier Lockscreen Notifications

Lollipop brought a revamp to the lockscreen, taking away custom widgets but … more

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] xml problem

11th June 2014, 06:07 PM |#1  
JT1510365's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Milford
Thanks Meter: 894
 
More
hey guys i want to edit twstatusbar.xml with notepad++ but every time I open the file i just get this weird wording or lettering is something wrong?

Note this also happens with other xml files too!

here is a screenshot:

Attachment 2792773
Last edited by JT1510365; 4th October 2014 at 04:40 AM.
 
 
11th June 2014, 07:12 PM |#2  
gr8nole's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Lynchburg, VA
Thanks Meter: 4,336
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1510365

hey guys i want to edit twstatusbar.xml with notepad++ but every time I open the file i just get this weird wording or lettering is something wrong?

Note this also happens with other xml files too!

here is a screenshot:

Attachment 2792773

You have to de-compile the apk first, then you can edit it in plain text; then you must re-compile the apk.
The Following User Says Thank You to gr8nole For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th June 2014, 08:35 PM |#3  
JT1510365's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Milford
Thanks Meter: 894
 
More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8nole

You have to de-compile the apk first, then you can edit it in plain text; then you must re-compile the apk.


okay i have been having trouble at getting apktool setup on my computer. i have looked at all the guides but still can't get it to work!

would you be so kind as to help me set it up on my computer via this messaging way?

also I want to edit .9 pngs and how would i do that properly?
11th June 2014, 08:38 PM |#4  
JT1510365's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Milford
Thanks Meter: 894
 
More
Wink apktool
also do i need the java sdk for apktool because everytime I download from the java website and try to install it it says that its not a valid file
11th June 2014, 08:57 PM |#5  
gr8nole's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Lynchburg, VA
Thanks Meter: 4,336
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1510365

okay i have been having trouble at getting apktool setup on my computer. i have looked at all the guides but still can't get it to work!

would you be so kind as to help me set it up on my computer via this messaging way?

also I want to edit .9 pngs and how would i do that properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1510365

also do i need the java sdk for apktool because everytime I download from the java website and try to install it it says that its not a valid file

Any of the toolkits for de-compiling apks should work fine. I still use a very old one (APK Manager 5.0.2). I just update the apktool, baksmali, and smali jar files when an updated version is released.

You will need java installed, but I don't think you need the entire sdk.

As for editing .9 pngs...you have to make sure that you don't change the 1 pixel border around the outer edge of the image.
11th June 2014, 09:57 PM |#6  
JT1510365's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Milford
Thanks Meter: 894
 
More
Wink now what
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8nole

Any of the toolkits for de-compiling apks should work fine. I still use a very old one (APK Manager 5.0.2). I just update the apktool, baksmali, and smali jar files when an updated version is released.

You will need java installed, but I don't think you need the entire sdk.

As for editing .9 pngs...you have to make sure that you don't change the 1 pixel border around the outer edge of the image.

okay where do i go to download the tool and those files like backsmali?

Also I heard you can't decompile systemui.apk unless you put your devices framework-res.apk in the apktool folder, where would that go?

thanks for your help!
11th June 2014, 10:08 PM |#7  
gr8nole's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Lynchburg, VA
Thanks Meter: 4,336
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1510365

okay where do i go to download the tool and those files like backsmali?

Also I heard you can't decompile systemui.apk unless you put your devices framework-res.apk in the apktool folder, where would that go?

thanks for your help!

Give this a try...it should work http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2536073

latest Smali and baksmali here https://bitbucket.org/JesusFreke/smali/downloads
11th June 2014, 10:46 PM |#8  
JT1510365's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Milford
Thanks Meter: 894
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8nole

Give this a try...it should work http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2536073

latest Smali and baksmali here https://bitbucket.org/JesusFreke/smali/downloads

I downloaded the tool and when i tried to open the tool it just crashed
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, custom, question, xml
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes