Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,872 Members 53,001 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Would reverting to stock and re-rooting help my terrible battery life?

Tip us?

hardisty
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Would reverting to stock and re-rooting help my terrible battery life?

Short version: I'm getting horrible battery life on a brand new battery with a setup that other people get much more life out of. Is it possible that there's some part of my phone that survives all the clean flashes I do and is responsible for this? Would completely taking my phone back to stock and then re-rooting and flashing a ROM wipe that part out or does regular clean flashing clear out anything that could be responsible?

Detailed version: I've had my device rooted since Day 1 and have flashed countless ROMs over the two years. Recently I noticed I was getting horrible battery life on Carbon, especially when it came to screen on time. I bought a brand new battery and it got a little better but still pretty terrible. Since then I've tried a couple different ROMs and kernels (AOSPA, Task650, kt747) and while it's been better, it usually can't make it past 6pm. At best I'm getting 1-1.5hrs screen on time. Also, the first 15% and last 25% drains so much faster than the rest. Would going completely to stock, re-rooting, and flashing a rom help?

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 352
Nothing should remain if you wipe system, data, cache, and Dalvik.

Try installing a ROM with a CPU governor that allows your to choose the settings.

crazymonkey05
Old
Thanks Meter 198

DONATE TO ME
Also try undervolting in the kernel and see if that helps

Sent from my ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII using TapaTalk
If i helped hit the thanks button.

Current Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII (SGH-I747)

ROM: Stock Touchwiz Rom

Kernel: Stock 3.0.31-2024954

Previous Devices: Motorola Droid 1, Pantech Crossover, Motorola Droid X, LG Revolution, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (r800x)