Seido extended battery case with NFC and wireless charging working.

OP eddott

18th May 2014, 02:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11

25 posts
Since I got my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, I have wanted to use an extended battery with it, to reduce my well-founded fear of running out of power. But finding a cover for an extended battery to protect my expensive phone has not been easy. However, I may have found a solution who also let me use the NFC and wireless functionality of the phone.

The Seidio DILEX Extended Case with Metal Kickstand for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is made for the Seidio Innocell 4800mAh extended battery. But pictures showed that the battery was as big as other, larger capacity batteries. And Seido apparently use the same type of back cover as others. From pictures, it looked just like my Anker 6400mAh extended battery. So I decided to try it out, and it fitted perfectly.

For the NFC and wireless functionality to work, I used the original Samsung Galaxy Note 3 wireless charging battery cover. I removed the charging pad from the cover, cut a small part from it who interfered with the extended battery and fastened the contact points with duct tape.

As you can see in this youTube video, everything works with my original Samsung wireless charger.

Possible problems. The Seidio DILEX extended battery case is a little slippery, and may not offer as good grip and corner protection as the Balistic case I used before. The wireless charging did not work with a cheap Fasttech charger I had. I believe the kickstand may cause problems. It's metal, and it cause the cover to bulge out more.

All in all I'm satisfied with the cover. I think it looks good, it feels solid and the buttons work fine. It does add extra protection. The kickstand is a nice bonus.
Last edited by eddott; 24th May 2014 at 12:09 AM.
23rd May 2014, 08:12 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Great review. Thank you for that. Just as I'm about to pull the trigger on this one, I came across the Seidio LEDGER view extended case. The back has got to be the same size as the DILEX to allow for the Anker 6400 mah. Either way, I'll order one of these today. I post a review if I end up getting the LEDGER.
Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
23rd May 2014, 04:02 PM   |  #3  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 24

170 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeMover

Great review. Thank you for that. Just as I'm about to pull the trigger on this one, I came across the Seidio LEDGER view extended case. The back has got to be the same size as the DILEX to allow for the Anker 6400 mah. Either way, I'll order one of these today. I post a review if I end up getting the LEDGER.
Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

That's a nice setup... might consider it for when I am out traveling. I wont be going qi charging with it though as that won't be needed while I am traveling.
11th June 2014, 07:40 PM   |  #4  
Flag Newark
Thanks Meter: 2

14 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddott

For the NFC and wireless functionality to work, I used the original Samsung Galaxy Note 3 wireless charging battery cover. I removed the charging pad from the cover, cut a small part from it who interfered with the extended battery and fastened the contact points with duct tape.

Could you go into detail about how your extracted the coils and circuits from the wireless charging cover? I'm playing with one and it seems pretty well stuck together and I'd rather not break the internals and have to pay for another one.
11th June 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11

25 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevski13

Could you go into detail about how your extracted the coils and circuits from the wireless charging cover? I'm playing with one and it seems pretty well stuck together and I'd rather not break the internals and have to pay for another one.

It's covered in the wireless charger thread, for instance this post by sometimesido.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesido

When you get the samsung wireless charging cover, look at the inside of the cover. They glued the plastic panel that the charging coil is, on to the outer cover.

You pry the inner plastic panel from outer cover by inserting a small flathead screw driver and twist to break the glue points.

After that, you very gently break off the melted plastic "points" that the shiny metal part is attached to. You will see what I mean when you get one.

The charging coil has a sticky pad attached to the plastic panel, you very gently "peel" it off, not to bend or break any parts.

After that, you line up the connecting points to the battery and nfc(?). You can either tape it to the phone or figure out a way to mount it to the factory battery cover.

You can see some pictures here.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread