Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,233 Members 50,956 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Knox on rooted phone

Tip us?

dbell525
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Knox on rooted phone

My company allows for a work email app to be used on my personal phone only if it isn't rooted. I don't use it for that reason. I have recently updated to a rooted NC5. Should I be able to use Knox to allow secure use for my company info and still get the benefits of being rooted on the personal side? Am i understanding the functionality of Knox correctly?

tech_head
Old
Thanks Meter 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell525 View Post
My company allows for a work email app to be used on my personal phone only if it isn't rooted. I don't use it for that reason. I have recently updated to a rooted NC5. Should I be able to use Knox to allow secure use for my company info and still get the benefits of being rooted on the personal side? Am i understanding the functionality of Knox correctly?
You are misunderstanding.
If you want to use your phone for work email that keeps their stuff separate, checkout TouchDown.
http://www.nitrodesk.com/androidplatform.html

It's what I have been using for years.
My employers like/liked it because it is separate.
I like it because they an wipe the mail and leave my home alone.

dbell525
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The app we use is not my option. Reason for my question is I think they should be able to eliminate the requirement for phone to not be rooted if Knox would allow the company data to be kept separate.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,548

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell525 View Post
Gotta love how Samsung has confused everything by calling it all "Knox".

OK, what you're asking about is the Knox Secure Container service.
You should be able to use that even if rooted as long as you haven't tripped the Knox Warranty Void flag by trying to flash a custom kernel.

I think you can still use it even if the phone has the Knox SEAndroid enforcement disabled (which is what gets turned off when you allow SuperSU to "disable Knox".) The container service is separate. However, there's a chance that the container service will fail if the enforcement service is disabled. You can turn that enforcement service back on, but it's going to be a pain to be rooted while that keeps killing off rooted processes.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1