[Q] Does Unroot require flashing of stock ROM

OP tdischino

10th June 2014, 09:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

18 posts
More
Hi,

I Rooted my Sprint GS5 the other day so that I could use Tasker to kill apps. I didn't flash a new ROM. I was reading about UnRooting, and all of the walkthroughs talk about flashing the stock ROM. If I havent flashed a new ROM since I rooted, if I were to unroot, is it a requirement to flash the stock ROM?
10th June 2014, 10:27 PM   |  #2  
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 39

332 posts
More
Most likely, yes. You would have to flash back. On my SGS4 mini I used a tool that had an UnRoot option.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 G900P running R.D.D.T Mystery Build v1.1 using Mystery Build Stock Kernal
11th June 2014, 12:47 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sunset
Thanks Meter: 2,288

1,538 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdischino

Hi,

I Rooted my Sprint GS5 the other day so that I could use Tasker to kill apps. I didn't flash a new ROM. I was reading about UnRooting, and all of the walkthroughs talk about flashing the stock ROM. If I havent flashed a new ROM since I rooted, if I were to unroot, is it a requirement to flash the stock ROM?

I don't see why you'd have to flash a stock rom as you're already on it. What's the reason you wan't to unroot? You've already tripped the knox counter and there's no going back from that.
11th June 2014, 09:01 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

18 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramer84015

I don't see why you'd have to flash a stock rom as you're already on it. What's the reason you wan't to unroot? You've already tripped the knox counter and there's no going back from that.

Since the user documented processes specify it, i wasn't sure if it was safe to just ignore the step.

Regarding the knox count, does that just affect warranty, or will that also affect ability to receive OTA updates? I was looking to unroot because I was expecting the 4.4.3 OTA update any day.

thanks!
11th June 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sunset
Thanks Meter: 2,288

1,538 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdischino

Since the user documented processes specify it, i wasn't sure if it was safe to just ignore the step.

Regarding the knox count, does that just affect warranty, or will that also affect ability to receive OTA updates? I was looking to unroot because I was expecting the 4.4.3 OTA update any day.

thanks!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that what effects an OTA update is whether you installed a custom recovery such as TWRP or CWM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ramer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
unroot
Previous Thread Next Thread