XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Updating to NE6 Firmware

Tip us?

parusia
Old
Thanks Meter 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by theannihilator View Post
that is so wrong, i just did it, i used triangle away to reset my counter rebooted to let it do its thing, then chose download mode, flashed ne6 rebooted and i was at the updated baseband.
He is talking about officially, as OTA from tmobile. If you are on custom Rom you can't receive an OTA upgrade as far as i know. What you did is not official you flashed via Odin if I'm not wrong.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to parusia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikef2501
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hello, and thanks for all the great info, both in this post and in others. I am in a related situation, but please let me know if I should have put this in another post.

I have a stock un-rooted Note 3 on T-Mobile running Android 4.4.2 with firmware/baseband N900TUVUCNB4, and I was about to follow another post to root the device (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2673780), when I happened upon the fact that some T-Mobile customers had already started receiving the update to the N900TUVUDNE6 build. I had my phone check to see if an OTA update was available, but it was not.

I was wondering, should I just wait until my phone receives an OTA update, or is there an easy/safe way to update my phone to the new build? Also, once I am on the new build, what is the best way to root the device - should I just use the procedure I linked to above? I would really prefer not to perform a factory reset/wipe, if possible. Additionally, the linked procedure uses the Philz recovery. Is there any reason I could/should not use something like ClockworkMod or TWRP after I root the device?

Thanks in advance!

--MikeF
The Following User Says Thank You to mikef2501 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdidtht
Old
Thanks Meter 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef2501 View Post
Hello, and thanks for all the great info, both in this post and in others. I am in a related situation, but please let me know if I should have put this in another post.

I have a stock un-rooted Note 3 on T-Mobile running Android 4.4.2 with firmware/baseband N900TUVUCNB4, and I was about to follow another post to root the device (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2673780), when I happened upon the fact that some T-Mobile customers had already started receiving the update to the N900TUVUDNE6 build. I had my phone check to see if an OTA update was available, but it was not.

I was wondering, should I just wait until my phone receives an OTA update, or is there an easy/safe way to update my phone to the new build? Also, once I am on the new build, what is the best way to root the device - should I just use the procedure I linked to above? I would really prefer not to perform a factory reset/wipe, if possible. Additionally, the linked procedure uses the Philz recovery. Is there any reason I could/should not use something like ClockworkMod or TWRP after I root the device?

Thanks in advance!

--MikeF
Here ya go man, just follow this thread here. Its super easy. I prefer philz touch recovery, but while I'm in Odin and after I've flashed the fw, and root, I'll flash twrp, boot up, grab recovery tools, and just flash philz image. This guide is simple and easy, and should take more than 5 mins or so. Good luck man..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2765014

The Following User Says Thank You to jdidtht For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikef2501
Old
(Last edited by mikef2501; 11th June 2014 at 11:42 PM.) Reason: (edited to remove sig picture spam)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdidtht View Post
Here ya go man, just follow this thread here. Its super easy. I prefer philz touch recovery, but while I'm in Odin and after I've flashed the fw, and root, I'll flash twrp, boot up, grab recovery tools, and just flash philz image. This guide is simple and easy, and should take more than 5 mins or so. Good luck man..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2765014
Great - thanks!

Just to double-check: this doesn't require me to clear my data or do a factory reset, right? I didn't see that explicitly stated in the guide you linked to, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Mike

jdidtht
Old
Thanks Meter 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef2501 View Post
Great - thanks!

Just to double-check: this doesn't require me to clear my data or do a factory reset, right? I didn't see that explicitly stated in the guide you linked to, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Mike
Alright, here's the deal, I odined and didn't clear data or factory reset. For me it booted right up, everything stuck, modem, boot loader, etc and I retained apps, messages and all that. You could back that crap up via titanium to ext card, anything you need, or even to PC just in case, but for me I didn't wipe anything. If it doesn't boot up after your all flashed up, you will have to factory reset.. Always make sure you have what you need backup somewhere it can't get deleted, and then no matter what you'll be fine. If its just a convenience thing for you just use titanium and do your thing and you will be good to go. There's a few threads out thier regarding the flashing of ne6 and all that good stuff, so its basically just the guys packaging up the same ROM, with their own preferred way of doing things. All accomplish the same thing, just with added info on this or that i suppose. So, flash it all up, if it doesnt boot, then factory reset and it will boot.

The Following User Says Thank You to jdidtht For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]