Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,743 Members 43,042 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root T-Mobile M8 Without Custom Recovery?

Tip us?

CMP27240
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Arrow [Q] Root T-Mobile M8 Without Custom Recovery?

Hi all, this may or may not be a popular question, i'm fairly new here, so i'll get right to the point.
I have the T-Mobile variant of the HTC One M8 and all i want is root access for apps on the app-store that can't run without it. I don't want to do a custom recovery, or overwrite any kernels or anything. Just root access. Is this even possible? If not, can someone explain to me why?
Any help is appreciated.

BenPope
Old
Thanks Meter 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP27240 View Post
Hi all, this may or may not be a popular question, i'm fairly new here, so i'll get right to the point.
I have the T-Mobile variant of the HTC One M8 and all i want is root access for apps on the app-store that can't run without it. I don't want to do a custom recovery, or overwrite any kernels or anything. Just root access. Is this even possible? If not, can someone explain to me why?
Any help is appreciated.
Hmmm, I'm not sure it will definitely work, but you can:
fastboot boot recovery.img
And then use that to flash the super user zip.

CMP27240
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So how would I go about that?

BerndM14
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP27240 View Post
So how would I go about that?
I believe you need an unlocked bootloader first, if your device has an unlocked bootloader then:

If you have the Android SDK platform downloaded and installed on your PC then just download a custom recovery and place it in the platform-tools folder.

Open a command prompt: Either open one and change directory to platform-tools folder(where recovery is) or hold shift, right click in folder and then click on "open command prompt/window here".

Connect your device to your PC(You should have all HTC drivers installed, can be done with HTC sync manager).
Type: adb devices should show you your serial number for the device then you know it picked it up.
Type: adb reboot bootloader - Phone will then reboot into bootloader mode.
Type: fastboot boot name_of_custom_recovery.img

Custome recovery of your choice(TWRP or CWM Philz) will then boot up, flash the root program(SuperSU for example) reboot phone.
Done.
The Following User Says Thank You to BerndM14 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ashyx
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM14 View Post
I believe you need an unlocked bootloader first, if your device has an unlocked bootloader then:

If you have the Android SDK platform downloaded and installed on your PC then just download a custom recovery and place it in the platform-tools folder.

Open a command prompt: Either open one and change directory to platform-tools folder(where recovery is) or hold shift, right click in folder and then click on "open command prompt/window here".

Connect your device to your PC(You should have all HTC drivers installed, can be done with HTC sync manager).
Type: adb devices should show you your serial number for the device then you know it picked it up.
Type: adb reboot bootloader - Phone will then reboot into bootloader mode.
Type: fastboot boot name_of_custom_recovery.img

Custome recovery of your choice(TWRP or CWM Philz) will then boot up, flash the root program(SuperSU for example) reboot phone.
Done.
Twrp automatically installs the su binary when you boot into it. When you reboot from within twrp it should ask if you want root access and install super su.
If not just install it from play.
You need to unlock your boot loader first.