Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,870 Members 49,716 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tip]Using Play Store Without Play Services

Tip us?

bsimpson1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default [Tip]Using Play Store Without Play Services

I came across an interesting workaround today regarding the annoying refusal of Google Play Store to run when Google Play Services is not enabled. Running the following in a terminal will disable a component of Google Play Services that prevents the check when you start the Play Store:

Code:
Select Code
pm disable com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.recovery.RecoveryService
Note: I have not tested this enough to know if there are any significant drawbacks yet.

I can say that this will finally allow Google Play Services to be greenified (although other components such as Google Backup Transport seems to occasionally prevent greenification). In addition, it seems to stop all those logs from being written to /data/system/dropbox/, which I personally found to be very irritating, and found the alternative solution of setting the folder to read-only to be problematic.
The Following User Says Thank You to bsimpson1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bsimpson1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Unfortunately it looks like google play services is necessary to allow you to download apps from the play store. I didn't realize it at first because the checkin service had already done its thing and I was free to use everything until it was time for the next checkin. I'll post here if I find out any way to overcome this, but it looks like Google Play Services is probably necessary for the Play Store to function.

sonyu
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimpson1 View Post
Unfortunately it looks like google play services is necessary to allow you to download apps from the play store. I didn't realize it at first because the checkin service had already done its thing and I was free to use everything until it was time for the next checkin. I'll post here if I find out any way to overcome this, but it looks like Google Play Services is probably necessary for the Play Store to function.
I tried and failed. There's no workaround. >.< Play Store needs Google Play Services in order to work properly.

donniemceduns
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyu View Post
I tried and failed. There's no workaround. >.< Play Store needs Google Play Services in order to work properly.
Yeah, there is absolutely no workaround.Play Services forms the core for the Google Playstore App.hence it can't function without it.

sonyu
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by didito View Post
Will try this when I get the root.
Yea, go ahead.
...Just wanna let you guys know, there's a google thread, in which people talk/ed bout the purpose of .services. Turns out you really need that sh*t!XD
It's like a framework you simply need to have installed- just like @donniemceduns said. ^ ^

Off-topic ― now, I'm on CM11, with no Google Play installed, therefore no .services running. I simply installed an alternative market. ^ ^
Like my post/answer? Consider clicking the THANKS button.

sonyu
Old
(Last edited by sonyu; 12th June 2014 at 05:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Wow.. Can you tell me what alternative market you installed?
I tried them all Mobogenie used to be ****ty, works fine now.
.apk link- DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK

Has all the apps from Google Play. No sign-in required.
I didn't like it; it's okay now. Use it as my primary market

If you find a better market, make sure to share a link!

sonyu
Old
(Last edited by sonyu; 12th June 2014 at 07:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Thanks for the link. One question though. Lets say I install a kitkat rom. Can I remove all the Play Store services and their dependencies to improve my phone's performance? I plan to do this and let Mobilegenie be my only market. If this is possible how can I remove these services for good?
Hi Didi,

Yea, sure.
You already know this, but for all the people who didn't bother to read the thread, removing .services will result in errors, whenever you try to open a google application(Play store for instance), which requires .services.

I used a kitkat ROM before- deleted all G-apps and installed my alternative market. No errors! ^ ^
As for Mobogenie, it's my primary market on CM11. It features autoupdates, even auto-install if your device is rooted. Sweet!

UPDATE:

Oh, sorry @didito! Didn't notice the "how can I remove these services for good" part.
Install an Uninstaller app for rooted devices( Your device must be rooted).
In-app: Navigate to SYSTEM APPS & remove google play services and google play store.
If you're not sure which app to use, try "Root App Delete".
Like my post/answer? Consider clicking the THANKS button.