Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,298 Members 39,652 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sign Petition: KitKat BREAKS MICROSD FUNCTIONALITY

Tip us?

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahozna View Post
That is strange. Because of knox my galaxy note pro is not rooted and on an external sd card Es File Explorer can’t rename a file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KruseLudsMobile View Post
I understand, but just use the built in file explorer or do it from a connected computer.

Sent from my Galaxy Note III; Previous owner/hacker of Galaxy S III, Galaxy Nexus, Droid X, HTC HD2, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Tilt, HTC 8525, O2 XDA II, O2 XDA.
I've also noticed renaming doesn't work.

Not on a 3rd party app nor on stock.

And I also can't rename anything over MTP through my pc, either. It just crashes explorer.exe and disconnects. A different computer, cable and OS don't make any difference. But then MTP has been a nightmare from day 1.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

KruseLudsMobile
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37

DONATE TO ME
Then that's some corruption

Sent from my Galaxy Note III; Previous owner/hacker of Galaxy S III, Galaxy Nexus, Droid X, HTC HD2, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Tilt, HTC 8525, O2 XDA II, O2 XDA.
- R. Kruse Ludington

Current: Galaxy Note III Black; Previously: Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Droid X, HTC HD2, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Tilt, HTC 8525, O2 XDA II, O2 XDA

yahozna
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Connect to a computer is not confortable and Es File Explorer is a better tool than the samsung built in file explorer, less options and unable to rename a file extension (I don't think I missed an option).
android 4.4 kitkat is so restrictive that it looks like a trial version, lot of pain in many cases. The prize to pay to have the fully operational version and have the right to use the tools you need is to root, increment knox and void warranty. This is very bad from google and samsung.
Sorry for my poor English.

mmtechMatt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Signed it, don't like what Google did, hope it's fixed

Irwenzhao
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Meh, JUST ROOT GUYS

N7105 rocking AOSB with AGNi kernel,
Sent from the "China who bans Google"
Click "Thanks" if I was of any help!
N7105 rocking AOSB with AGNi kernel

Fedeloper
Old
Thanks Meter 3
mtk maintains the possibility to choose

Haemon
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzo View Post
Personally I'm ready for a change from Android now. The rot really started when Google forced people to sign up to G+ to leave reviews in the Play Store and it has gradually got worse from there. I seem to recall a certain company called Microsoft got into all sorts of trouble for bundling their own web browser on PCs, but now Google seems to be forcing all sorts of restrictions and conditions on people (wanna use the Play Store fully? You need a G+ account).)
Its not that simple :P. Phones and computers actually fall under different categories for some laws. But the take away is that Google isn't forcing you to use the Play Store. Its their own software and they can require you to do whatever they legally want in order to preserve that eco system. They could easily prove in court that not having people sign in with "real" information lead to good and bad reviews being bought and sold. You also have the option of installing apps from unknown sources, so your not locked in. I don't necessarily agree with the ruling to fine Microsoft over the whole IE thing, sounds like people bitching to me :P. Use IE to download Firefox or whatever and get over it. Companies aren't supposed to be fined for Anti-Trust over not helping their competition, just from intentionally locking their competitors out of markets, specially with dirty or illegal tricks. See: Intel.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Ohhh, all of the above said, I understand the need for limiting apps from modifying things on an SD card, as long as it prevents malicious code from doing malicious things and allows legitimate apps to function. I'll be following this as it develops :|

Bobcageon
Old
Thanks Meter 2
hmm, this sounds like something apple would do!

Irwenzhao
Old
(Last edited by Irwenzhao; 12th June 2014 at 05:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by didito View Post
Ok i dont understand. I got kitkat and am using root explorer. Are you saying that I cant copy and move files on my sd card?
You can, because you have root. You cannot edit files on your SD Card only if:
1) You don't have root.
2) You're using a file explorer that does not has the workaround implemented in it.

N7105 rocking AOSB with AGNi kernel,
N7105 rocking AOSB with AGNi kernel

Mohenjo Daro
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I find the "feature" very annoying, especially for local backups of contacts, messages. Holding fingers crossed that CM1x fixes this obstruction from Google.