Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,266 Members 41,842 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC One (M8) mhl connection

Tip us?
 
dabsketball
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default [Q] HTC One (M8) mhl connection

Has anyone gotten their M8 to connect to a TV or monitor using a mhl adapter or cable? Ive tried two so far and have gotten little success. If so what are you using? do i need to find a certain brand of cable or adapter to mirror my One M8 on my TV screen?

the two I used were an auvio mhl adapter which i got to work mabey 10% of the time with a ton of unplugging and reconecting cables, I returned that one for a radioshack mhl to hdmi cable which i couldnt get to mirror at all but when plugged into the phone it allowed the phone to go into landscape but no video
 
eortizr
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 175
Posts: 1,111
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas,Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsketball View Post
Has anyone gotten their M8 to connect to a TV or monitor using a mhl adapter or cable? Ive tried two so far and have gotten little success. If so what are you using? do i need to find a certain brand of cable or adapter to mirror my One M8 on my TV screen?

the two I used were an auvio mhl adapter which i got to work mabey 10% of the time with a ton of unplugging and reconecting cables, I returned that one for a radioshack mhl to hdmi cable which i couldnt get to mirror at all but when plugged into the phone it allowed the phone to go into landscape but no video
I can confirm that the Samsung one works perfectly fine. I think I bought it for the galaxy S3. Here is a pic.




Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Please hit 'Thanks' if I helped you.
The Following User Says Thank You to eortizr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
technologiq
Old
#3  
technologiq's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 15
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsketball View Post
Has anyone gotten their M8 to connect to a TV or monitor using a mhl adapter or cable? Ive tried two so far and have gotten little success. If so what are you using? do i need to find a certain brand of cable or adapter to mirror my One M8 on my TV screen?

the two I used were an auvio mhl adapter which i got to work mabey 10% of the time with a ton of unplugging and reconecting cables, I returned that one for a radioshack mhl to hdmi cable which i couldnt get to mirror at all but when plugged into the phone it allowed the phone to go into landscape but no video
I've had decent luck with the 'Rocketfish' MHL adapters that are available at BestBuy. I'll have it work fine for a while and then all of a sudden I'll loose video but keep audio. I've since ordered a MHL adapter of Monoprice that had good reviews. I'll update if I get anywhere.
 
Badelhas
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 44
Posts: 669
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Braga
Quote:
Originally Posted by eortizr View Post
I can confirm that the Samsung one works perfectly fine. I think I bought it for the galaxy S3. Here is a pic.




Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Samsung S3 uses a 12 pin connection (I also bought it) and that's not the one, from looking at the photo. Are you sure that's not the adapter from the S2 or something?
I still haven't found any info regarding if the HTC One m8 uses mhl 2.0 or 1.0
Any news regarding this matter?
 
eortizr
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 175
Posts: 1,111
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas,Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badelhas View Post
Samsung S3 uses a 12 pin connection (I also bought it) and that's not the one, from looking at the photo. Are you sure that's not the adapter from the S2 or something?
I still haven't found any info regarding if the HTC One m8 uses mhl 2.0 or 1.0
Any news regarding this matter?
it might be an S2, that is why I post a pic with the model number so people can search by it.
Please hit 'Thanks' if I helped you.
The Following User Says Thank You to eortizr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
GSLEON3
Old
#6  
GSLEON3's Avatar
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1312
Posts: 2,447
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NSA Black Site Whiskey Tango Foxtrot One Niner

 
DONATE TO ME
If you have an AV receiver that supports MHL, the best thing to use is a passive MHL cable. Fortunately my Onkyo TX-NR5010 supports MHL & it works perfectly using this Pipeline passive MHL cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have never lost video or audio with it. *Please Note: If you do NOT have a receiver or a TV that supports MHL natively, then this will not work for you. It is a PASSIVE cable that transmits the raw MHL signal to the receiver or TV for native processing/decoding. If you DO have a TV or receiver that supports MHL though, then this is the way to go. Those little adapters will never match the reliability & quality of native decoding via an AVR or high-end TV.
Ingress Resistance - Rainbow6


Click HERE to buy me a cheeseburger if I helped you! Or even better, find a charity or local family fighting childhood cancer & help out however you can!

A brief & incomplete timeline of my love affair with mobile technology:

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Google Play Store 4.9 Brings New, Image-Rich UI with a Hint of Material Design

It’s not Wednesday yet, but we’ve got a great … more

Remove Unnecessary WhatsApp Elements with Xposed

In modern life, you can’t underestimate the power ofthe dark sidemessaging … more

MaR-V-iN to Talk Google and Android APIs at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of September … more

But First, Let Me Take a #Selfie

“Today while browsing XDA,I’m going tocheck to seeif my favorite ROM has been updated–but … more