Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,230 Members 48,246 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] iptables for GT-s580i

Tip us?

Sycloalkane
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] iptables for GT-s580i

I was intending to use the droidwall app to filter what apps can use wifi/3G as intended, but it doesn't seem to work due to the stock kernel not having iptables by default.

My device is rooter using the guide found on these forums, and no additional changes have been made.
Is there any way to add iptables into this kernel so that this app can work?
This may also help with the orbot app for proxying work, at least i'm hoping.

totallyawesome
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm having the same issue over here which I stumbled upon when trying out the firewall in avast's mobile anti-virus/firewall solution and went on to find some info on when that ipfilter or iptables module was added to android to be able to pick the right rom for my device.
so far I've been out of luck though.
I don't just want to pick a random rom because it seems that none of the roms offered here for the s5830i are still getting updates from their developers.

mahithm
Old
Thanks Meter 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycloalkane View Post
I was intending to use the droidwall app to filter what apps can use wifi/3G as intended, but it doesn't seem to work due to the stock kernel not having iptables by default.

My device is rooter using the guide found on these forums, and no additional changes have been made.
Is there any way to add iptables into this kernel so that this app can work?
This may also help with the orbot app for proxying work, at least i'm hoping.
Try installing Rafael Baugis kernel. It has iptables binary included. Here is the link,

Rafael Baugis kernel

Or you can install the app called Iptables (not sure haven't used it personally). Here is the link,

Iptables (beta)

Do post the results. Hope I Helped
HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU
The Following User Says Thank You to mahithm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ApriliaM3
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 13,621
I've cleaned this thread so let's try and stick to the topic here thanks guys...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApriliaM3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mahithm
Old
Thanks Meter 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApriliaM3 View Post
I've cleaned this thread so let's try and stick to the topic here thanks guys...

totallyawesome
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahithm View Post
Try installing Rafael Baugis kernel. It has iptables binary included. Here is the link,

Rafael Baugis kernel

Or you can install the app called Iptables (not sure haven't used it personally). Here is the link,

Iptables (beta)

Do post the results. Hope I Helped
thank you very much for the effort you made to find and post those two links but that ROM looks to be discontinued and an app to emulate? this functionality doesn't look like the proper way to do it.
is there a way to have this functionality built into the stock rom with the help of open source? code or something along those lines? I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. any guides or other publications you would suggest me to read?

mahithm
Old
(Last edited by mahithm; 12th June 2014 at 03:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyawesome View Post
thank you very much for the effort you made to find and post those two links but that ROM looks to be discontinued and an app to emulate? this functionality doesn't look like the proper way to do it.
is there a way to have this functionality built into the stock rom with the help of open source? code or something along those lines? I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. any guides or other publications you would suggest me to read?
First of all, its not a rom instead it is a kernel. Only way you can have this functionality in to the stock rom is to use a custom kernel. You can compile a custom kernel from its source. I haven't personally compiled one for Galaxy Ace S5830i, so I don't know much about this. But you can use the following guides to compile one from the source. Make sure to change the source in the guide to the source of your device i.e. cooperve. Here is the link,

[Tutorial] Building Your First Kernel

[VIDEO]Build your own Android kernel

iptables in android

Hope I Helped