Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] CM11.0, 20140608, M7 Snapshot - Unable to get signal from radio

OP mpelley92

12th June 2014, 01:31 AM   |  #11  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 871

3,027 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpelley92

Bootloader and baseband: I747MVLUEMK5

You're running the most recent release so I'm not sure what's causing the issue.
12th June 2014, 08:29 AM   |  #12  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13

You're running the most recent release so I'm not sure what's causing the issue.

I have found the problem with the service. I live in an area where signal is not too great. My LG G2 has a tendency to pick up the correct tower for my area, but my Galaxy S3 does not choose the same tower... It looks for one in a completely different direction.

Forgive me, this thread is going to take a bit of a turn.

Is there any way to choose which cell tower the phone connects to? In my area there is one directly east and the other is directly west. I need the western tower in order to make/receive calls/text and in order to get any data reception. Right now where my phone sits, it does not connect to the western tower so I cannot use it. I used OpenSignal to observe which tower both phones connect to.

The other issue I found is my extended battery (Anker 7200) also interferes with reception quite a bit. In town, it's not noticeable. But out on my acreage it stops my phone from getting any signal. I compared it to my LG G2 and my Galaxy S3 with the old 2100mAh battery. The G2 hovers around -95, S3 w/OEM battery at -101 and the S3 w/Anker battery at -113 (no service).

Mike
12th June 2014, 01:27 PM   |  #13  
Philly
Thanks Meter: 169

447 posts
More
Quote:

Is there any way to choose which cell tower the phone connects to? In my area there is one directly east and the other is directly west. I need the western tower in order to make/receive calls/text and in order to get any data reception. Right now where my phone sits, it does not connect to the western tower so I cannot use it. I used OpenSignal to observe which tower both phones connect to.
Mike

Try changing the mode to LTE only under your settings. This may force the stronger connection.
12th June 2014, 04:40 PM   |  #14  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0ne215

Try changing the mode to LTE only under your settings. This may force the stronger connection.

Unfortunately that won't work either. In my area I can only pick up HSPA....
Last edited by mpelley92; 12th June 2014 at 04:44 PM.
12th June 2014, 04:52 PM   |  #15  
Philly
Thanks Meter: 169

447 posts
More
Quote:

Unfortunately that won't work either. In my area I can only pick up HSPA....

Hmm. Out of curiosity, have you tried a different ROM on 4.4.2? I've had weird issues with ROMs and signal, ie MIUI caused me to have my signal cut in and out at random intervals. Worth a shot at least. I've been using SlimKat if you want one for reference (probably the quickest download due to size).

Unfortunately all I can suggest is trying to play with tasker and seeing if you can get it to skip over the crap tower, but to my knowledge there's no way to prevent connection to said tower.

I guess if you wanna get into a gray area you could modify said tower....but I claim no responsibility for your actions with that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x0ne215 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th June 2014, 05:48 PM   |  #16  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0ne215

Hmm. Out of curiosity, have you tried a different ROM on 4.4.2? I've had weird issues with ROMs and signal, ie MIUI caused me to have my signal cut in and out at random intervals. Worth a shot at least. I've been using SlimKat if you want one for reference (probably the quickest download due to size).

Unfortunately all I can suggest is trying to play with tasker and seeing if you can get it to skip over the crap tower, but to my knowledge there's no way to prevent connection to said tower.

I guess if you wanna get into a gray area you could modify said tower....but I claim no responsibility for your actions with that

I've been using Liquidsmooth the past few nights and am losing signal more than ever.

Would the OS control how the modem is used? I would think that it's hardware only that changes how and when you get service.

I'm going to try the UEND3 modem firmware and see if that makes a difference. Also going to try SlimKat like you suggested.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread