Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,599 Members 38,762 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4K UHD recording problem

Tip us?

Hellabiker
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
problem still not solved.

has anyone experienced this??

it seems like I'm the only one

jopat
Old
Thanks Meter 13
What happened when you copied the files to your computer harddisk and play them in your computer?

Hellabiker
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopat View Post
What happened when you copied the files to your computer harddisk and play them in your computer?

It works perfectly fine on my macboook pro retina.

do does this mean that the problem is my device??

jopat
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellabiker View Post
It works perfectly fine on my macboook pro retina.

do does this mean that the problem is my device??
If it plays properly in your computer, then that means the video was recorded properly. Then problem is the app that you are using. Try re-scanning your directory. If that doesn't work, try using other apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to jopat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bnight
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Could you try playing the video on the phone with something like MX Player probably I see sometimes the default Video player to has issues even with 1080p video so better player is required but if you watch the video fine on the PC then why you want to watch it on the phone any way you likely wouldn`t notice the difference between 1080p and UHD on the Galaxy S5 screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to bnight For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnight View Post
Could you try playing the video on the phone with something like MX Player probably I see sometimes the default Video player to has issues even with 1080p video so better player is required but if you watch the video fine on the PC then why you want to watch it on the phone any way you likely wouldn`t notice the difference between 1080p and UHD on the Galaxy S5 screen.
^ Good advice. You confirmed that the recording is good. The most productive thing at this point might be to find out if there is any visible difference between 1080p and UHD on a small, 5.1 inch screen. As to what is causing the playback issue it may well be inherent limitations of the stock player or a firmware issue, hence the suggestion to try MX player. It could also be background apps monopolizing your processor. Another thing you might look into is whether trimming your device memory helps. One app to do that is lagfix.
The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hellabiker
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
It finally worked! the MX player played the 4k video properly. finally!!

I was already thinking of selling my phone haha

What does this mean? Isn't it that the stock player should support and play the 4K video properly? whats wrong with it?

bnight
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
What does this mean? Isn't it that the stock player should support and play the 4K video properly? whats wrong with it?
The stock player miss some codecs as well as it`s not very fast in processing video don`t know why but just think it`s not supposed to be used for what we used it. On the other hand MX Player has the full ffmpeg codec set and it`s optimized for slower processors then the one in the S5 so that`s why it`s working better then the stock video player. However I did record 1 minute of UHD video and it played well on the stock player currently UHD video is limited to 5 minutes.

But yes I do use mostly MX Player as it`s really good.

jopat
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
It finally worked! the MX player played the 4k video properly. finally!!

I was already thinking of selling my phone haha

I'm glad you finally sorted it out. The stock video player should have no problem playing the video recorded by the phone itself, but then nothing is perfect.