Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,106 Members 40,724 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] JCase ASEC root?

Tip us?

S_transform
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Default [Q] JCase ASEC root?

Just wondering, but with JCase's new moto X exploit being released, could this be used to root the HDX? From what I understand it should work on any android version that supports ASEC.

plasticarmyman
Old
Thanks Meter 80
This may be a possibility... We'll have to wait and see...

Sent from my Nexus 4

GSLEON3
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1319

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_transform View Post
Just wondering, but with JCase's new moto X exploit being released, could this be used to root the HDX? From what I understand it should work on any android version that supports ASEC.
Jcase is a good dude. If anyone hasn't already, a polite & to the point PM should be sent to him asking just that. That is exactly what I did that led to the first root.

I personally am still rooted, I don't know exactly what I did differently than everyone else, besides installing safestrap a second time on the rom slot I use, but I have not blocked anything, not deleted or renamed any files, nothing, but updates come & the Kernel & BL fail to flash & it gets stuck in the Bootloader screen. I reboot, still have access to SS & am still rooted every time. Every single update has downloaded & tried to install & every single one has failed.
Ingress Resistance - Rainbow6

Click HERE to buy me a cheeseburger if I helped you! Or even better, find a charity or local family fighting childhood cancer & help out however you can!

A brief & incomplete timeline of my love affair with mobile technology:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GSLEON3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GSLEON3
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1319

DONATE TO ME
Default ASEC...

Hmmmm.... I will have to go through the KF HDX source, but if this exploit exists & it may very well considering it wasn't even fixed by Google until 4.4.2, the ASEC exploit should work just fine on the HDX.

Some interesting info here: http://blog.cassidiancybersecurity.c...old-local-root

Basically the way ASEC exploit works, you can redirect a partition mount to ANYTHING, as long as it is an existing directory & there is an existing symbolic link to the directory. Interesting, even if it is a very old exploit, & very possibly something much easier to accomplish root with than some of the things I have played with, including SED...

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Hey, guys, I made the suggestion to contact jcase again a few days ago. PLEASE do NOT contact him regarding exploits right now. He is taking a break from this stuff & I hadn't bothered to check with him, or to check his current status.

If I feel like I am onto something, or if anyone else does, please let me know & I can get the idea or possible exploit to someone else. Jcase has done a lot for the XDA community, so give him his well deserved break.
Ingress Resistance - Rainbow6

Click HERE to buy me a cheeseburger if I helped you! Or even better, find a charity or local family fighting childhood cancer & help out however you can!

A brief & incomplete timeline of my love affair with mobile technology:

The Following User Says Thank You to GSLEON3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]