Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,049 Members 39,951 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help Required: Galaxy S3 - Verizon 4G LTE Modding

Tip us?

Nalil
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Help Required: Galaxy S3 - Verizon 4G LTE Modding

Hello. I am completely new to this forum and completely new to the phone modding world as well. So, please excuse me if I have broken any rules or am posting in the wrong section. I have a Galaxy S3 - Verizon 4G LTE phone. I use it on WIFI only. I do not use a sim card. Therefore, I cannot update the operating system at all, since Verizon requires a connection to their servers, through their connection. My android version is 4.1.1. I wanted to update this to the latest android version available. I haven't the slightest clue as to how to go about that. Whenever I've looked this up, I am always led to one program: Cyanogenmod. I don't understand how this works at all. Would anyone please be able to explain how I go about this in baby steps? What are the risks? What do I need? Would I ever be able to recover back to the original operating system that came with the phone? Is there a way to save my current app/games data before doing this, for example, Subway Surfers? I also do not know what rooting is but, it seems as though it gives you the option to go much deeper into the phone's customization. Is that required for this? Any information, pictures, step by step guides would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sandman-007
Old
Thanks Meter 613
Ok first you need to read the stickies. Also just Google what root is. Do some research first man. Did I mention the stickies?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy S3, SOKP

Nalil
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Are you talking about the "[How To] Reset your phone in order to return to Verizon(Updated 12/11/2012)" and "[GUIDE] Debrick your bricked SCH-I535! [BOOTLOADER/HARDBRICK]" stickies? Those are the only ones I see in this section. I currently haven't done anything to my phone so, those don't really apply to me yet. I did however browse through them. I saw the mention of Odin, a ROM flashing tool. And rooting would probably give you access to the system settings required to flash these ROMs onto your phone. This is all I can make out at the moment.

ThePagel
Old
Thanks Meter 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalil View Post
Are you talking about the "[How To] Reset your phone in order to return to Verizon(Updated 12/11/2012)" and "[GUIDE] Debrick your bricked SCH-I535! [BOOTLOADER/HARDBRICK]" stickies? Those are the only ones I see in this section. I currently haven't done anything to my phone so, those don't really apply to me yet. I did however browse through them. I saw the mention of Odin, a ROM flashing tool. And rooting would probably give you access to the system settings required to flash these ROMs onto your phone. This is all I can make out at the moment.
There are stickies in every section you should hop over to the general section and start looking there.
ADB Only (Windows)
ADB Only (Linux) <-- Plus instructions