Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,832 Members 51,593 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Car holder for M8?

Tip us?

Alaris
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaneramma View Post
I just wanted to post a pic of my set up with the iBolt as I am a firm believer in them. The build quality is good but could be a little better, as the spring is way too strong making it not a one handed set up like advertised). It seems to be the only one with cardock launch VIA USB (Car Home Ultra has the ability to launch instead of the stock car more, which also controls my bluetooth and WiFi). and it works with any case. i have my Dot view on in the picture just folded behind.
Which model is this?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

vegetaleb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 828
I received the iottie holder yesterday, I will try it in my car this afternoon after work.
The mechanism looks pretty decent, I should use it one handed but I hope the base will be very sticky on my dashboard textured plastic because you need to press with the phone downward to open the arms and take it away without scratching the M8's border.

doaneramma
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
Which model is this?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
http://www.iboltshop.com/iBOLT-xProD.../dp/B00AOCUP6S

When I got it, I had a Samsung as well and got them to include the adapter for it as well. I can't remember how much it was, but I got the version with the audio out in case I buy a Galaxy again one day.

vegetaleb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 828
Ok so I went to my car with the iottie to try it!
I took off the old holder which was sticked with a 3M plastic disk,the suction pad was far from enough on my Citroen DS3 textured dashboard.
Cleaned the surface where the iottie will take place.
Tried 2-3 times...oupss it doesn't stick!
Then I noticed 2mm of the sticky suction base was not on the dashboard because I wanted it as on the border as possible.
I replaced it 1cm on the dashboard now the whole surface was touching the surface, while pressing on the base I switched down the lever and it was a little hard to do it,meaning the suction was working this time,and WOW I was amazed!
The holder was super glues on the dashboard,it was like cemented!!!
Tried the one handed operation and it was fairly easy, taking it out is just pressing the lower arm with the M8 till the mechanism is fixed
I hope it will stay glued even with high temperatures as it can reach 38c in summer here.
The design is pleasant both from inside the car and outside,the black plastic looks like it was made for my car.

Here some photos taken with the M8 in low light:

taspankya
Old
Thanks Meter 8
PanaVise for life!

if they have a mount for your car - buy it, along with the part that lets you tilt and get their universal holder.

bnsagi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Any one tried the official car dock of HTC?
It is called D190.

lacrossev
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Here are the mounts that i use. The first is a slipgrip mount for no skin, PRO version to work with the proclip ball joint that i have behind it. The second is a tetrax magnetic mount paired to a seidio dilex case with the metal button applied to the back. Both are on a proclip base that is specific to my car.

The slipgrip mount's top clip has a little texture from molding that pulled slightly on my slickwrap so i had to sand that section flat a bit to get it smooth. It holds the phone way more stable than the tetrax since its grabbing from the corners while the tetrax is holding via the small button and the phone is long so if you're messing about the edges the phone can wobble a bit. The proclip base has been in my car for the 10 years that i've owned it and its been the basis for mounts for 4 generations of phones, totally recommended if you're like me and like to drive your cars forever. Slipgrip has a bunch of mounts for a variety of cases and i've bought a lot of mounts from them in the past going from case style to case style and its always worked well.

The system works great, holds great and tilts/rotates as you like. The downside is that its highly specific so if you own multiple vehicles, change cars or phones often, then it might be a bit steep of a combo to go with.