APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Where is our Extreme Power Saving update?

OP jojomexi

25th May 2014, 04:09 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 60

602 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgoldner

Yesterday I took an extensive road trip where I knew I would both be unable to use the phone (while driving) and be nowhere near a charger (although I have a spare external battery for real emergencies). I decided to throw the device into extreme powersave mode. Did not discern a significant advantage over "regular" power saver mode, but at nearly 17 hours off charger (with some calls and texting, a little wifi out of the mode and a little data) I was down to about 25%. That works for me.

Beamed from the holodeck of my Nexus 7 FHD.

Depending on how much you were on the phone, that's not bad...for regular power mode. I would have thought the power savings would be significantly better.
25th May 2014, 06:23 AM   |  #12  
Flag Southeastern Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 573

2,175 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfreemanoh

Depending on how much you were on the phone, that's not bad...for regular power mode. I would have thought the power savings would be significantly better.

I agree. In fact today I ran mostly on regular powersave mode and tonight I am at 70%. Frankly, I am starting to think that the extreme powersave mode as a mod is a placebo. Maybe something is missing.

My name's Harold and I'm a flashaholic....
25th May 2014, 08:44 AM   |  #13  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 9,390

9,628 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgoldner

I agree. In fact today I ran mostly on regular powersave mode and tonight I am at 70%. Frankly, I am starting to think that the extreme powersave mode as a mod is a placebo. Maybe something is missing.

My name's Harold and I'm a flashaholic....

It's basically just an "extreme" variant of the power saving mode, IMO. Basically just makes it so you are in a mode that limits use. I am sure this is basically the same as just not really using the phone or just using phone + message + email (basically what EPM allows) and having data off and or have wifi shut off with screen.
I agree though, I am not sure if this truly gives the hours that HTC claims it does, but I would like to start doing or see someone who has the time to make some logs and see the real life numbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to andybones For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th June 2014, 11:26 PM   |  #14  
Flag Dayton, OH
Thanks Meter: 13

83 posts
More
I don't have exact figures, but in Extreme Power Save mode my M8 on average uses about 1% per hour to two hours. It is different from regular power save in that all background data and apps are disabled as opposed to just turning off data while the screen is off, lowering max brightness, and basically under-clocking the phone. Normal Power Save mode makes a big difference over normal function as well but I don't have any numbers on that right now.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread