Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

4.4.3 Coming Soon for 2013 Droids!

OP Jaocagomez

9th June 2014, 01:31 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 9

47 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider

Verizon would never allow that on a "production' device.

Hope Verizon stops producing them earlier then lol~
9th June 2014, 01:38 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 11

44 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Zeta-

Hope Verizon stops producing them earlier then lol~

Verizon owns the rights to use the DROID name. Unless you spend the big bucks for the developer edition you are buying your phone at a subsidized price and you are going to be stuck with an "officially locked" bootloader.
9th June 2014, 09:18 PM   |  #23  
Flag Las Vegas, NV

120 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider

Verizon owns the rights to use the DROID name. Unless you spend the big bucks for the developer edition you are buying your phone at a subsidized price and you are going to be stuck with an "officially locked" bootloader.

Or you're in my shoes. You paid the big bucks for the locked bootloader version because the Dev version wasn't announced yet and I am not giving up my unlimited plan. Then you learn that people who came later and paid the same as you did get versions that can get their bootloaders unlocked, and you just ****ed yourself.

Thanks to the Chinese bootloader unlock code, I ended up winning in the end. However, I was just lucky that there was someone able to help me for $46, and I got in before the offer went away.
10th June 2014, 05:22 PM   |  #24  
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 73

250 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svzurich

Or you're in my shoes. You paid the big bucks for the locked bootloader version because the Dev version wasn't announced yet and I am not giving up my unlimited plan. Then you learn that people who came later and paid the same as you did get versions that can get their bootloaders unlocked, and you just ****ed yourself.

Thanks to the Chinese bootloader unlock code, I ended up winning in the end. However, I was just lucky that there was someone able to help me for $46, and I got in before the offer went away.

Such are the issues with being an early adopter. Same applies to any technology - those who buy first pay the most for the shiny new device - but the longer its on the market the cheaper it gets. Saying "those who came later" got a better deal is almost universally true of any piece of technology.

PS: I should really say, those who time their purchase well get the best deal. When I got my Maxx last January, It was $200 on contract but I got a $100 gift card for trading in my previous Moto phone. I used the gift card to immediately turn around and get my Wife's Droid Mini for Free (It was $99 on contract and I applied my gift card). She then also got a $100 gift card which got us cases and the other accessories we wanted. So, a Droid Maxx, a Droid Mini and all our accessories combined for $200 total. Not too bad. Today you could get a Maxx for $99 and a Mini for $29 but its the newer Maxx with 16 rather than 32 GB - so I would say I timed my purchase well.
Last edited by ratman6161; 10th June 2014 at 05:27 PM.
10th June 2014, 09:23 PM   |  #25  
Flag Las Vegas, NV

120 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratman6161

Such are the issues with being an early adopter. Same applies to any technology - those who buy first pay the most for the shiny new device - but the longer its on the market the cheaper it gets. Saying "those who came later" got a better deal is almost universally true of any piece of technology.

I think you slightly misunderstood me. I was not complaining about the price discounts that came later, those are a given. That's just how technology works.

I was complaining about the fact that the Dev Edition came later for the exact same price as I paid for my retail phone. People point to the Dev Edition and say that it's okay for it to be unlocked because they paid so much. I paid the same and then an additional $46 to a Chinese merchant to get the same ability. Had the Dev Edition been announced, I would have waited and bought it instead. I was running away from the Droid Charge POS.
11th June 2014, 07:27 AM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 222

829 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svzurich

I think you slightly misunderstood me. I was not complaining about the price discounts that came later, those are a given. That's just how technology works.

I was complaining about the fact that the Dev Edition came later for the exact same price as I paid for my retail phone. People point to the Dev Edition and say that it's okay for it to be unlocked because they paid so much. I paid the same and then an additional $46 to a Chinese merchant to get the same ability. Had the Dev Edition been announced, I would have waited and bought it instead. I was running away from the Droid Charge POS.

I got what you meant and I agree I got my maxx for 300 subsidized using my wife's upgrade to keep unlimited. If I knew there was going to be a Dev edition I would have sold the maxx new and bought the Dev phone. I understand what he was saying about waiting and getting a better deal but that wasn't the issue. If they planned on releasing a Dev edition that should have been announced so we could have made a decision before purchase. I to used the Chinese guy and unlocked for 40 bucks. Best money I ever spent concerning a phone.
11th June 2014, 07:31 AM   |  #27  
Flag Las Vegas, NV

120 posts
Donate to Me
More
I paid the initial $700, and then 2 weeks later they (Verizon) dropped the price to $650, so I called them to get the $50 difference credited back as it was only 2 weeks since I had purchased. I now send Verizon's emails to Spam as they keep trying to get me to "upgrade" and give up my unlimited plan.

At $600-$650, I'd have happily paid for the Dev Edition had it been offered at the time.
13th June 2014, 02:00 AM   |  #28  

44 posts
More
I got my Droid just before Christmas... I got a text from VZW offering a free upgrade and when I called I was told the Droid Maxx was not available on the free update program. I told the CSR that I would just wait for my contract to expire and I would be changing carriers after more than 10 years with Verizon. We started discussing my bill and I told them that if they found a way to knock 50 dollars off my monthly bill (250 at the time) I would buy the phone (299.00) and stay with VZW. I got what I wanted.
A few weeks later the subsidized price dropped to 199.00 and I called and complained. Verizon issued me a 100.00 credit toward accessories.

NEVER PAY RETAIL FOR ANYTHING!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread