Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 51,825 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.4.3 OTA failed after install Qualcomm-optimized Dalvik & Bionic libraries

Tip us?

nct2k
Old
(Last edited by nct2k; 12th June 2014 at 01:35 AM.) Reason: add details
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Smile [Q] 4.4.3 OTA failed after install Qualcomm-optimized Dalvik & Bionic libraries

Hello everyone,

Today my Nexus 7 2013 Wifi received 4.4.3 OTA, but the update failed (I didn't take note the detail error)
My Nexus 7 is running stock ROM 4.4.2, with optimized Dalvik and bionic libraries installed (using 4.4_qc-optimized_bionic.zip and 4.4_qc-optimized_dalvik.zip from thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...alvik-t2546120

So I tried to use ClockworkMod to install the file df43279bcf6bb6a0ae403249c3e6f314d0a7eb77.signed-razor-KTU84L-from-KOT49H.df43279b.zip
But it failed with error: /system/bin/dalvikvm has unexpected contents
I've tried to revert back the libraries using KOT49E_stock_revert.zip in the above thread.
But the installation of df43279bcf6bb6a0ae403249c3e6f314d0a7eb77.signed-razor-KTU84L-from-KOT49H.df43279b.zip still failed with different error: /system/bin/installd has unexpected contents

Is there anyone encountered the same problem like mine?
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

meekrawb
Old
Thanks Meter 790
Fastboot flash the system.img from the kot49h factory image and then try the update again.
The Following User Says Thank You to meekrawb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nct2k
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default /system/bin/installd has unexpected contents

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekrawb View Post
Fastboot flash the system.img from the kot49h factory image and then try the update again.
Thanks for your suggestion! I've tried but still encountered /system/bin/installd has unexpected contents

sola fide
Old
Thanks Meter 89

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nct2k View Post
Thanks for your suggestion! I've tried but still encountered /system/bin/installd has unexpected contents
Are you sure you used the system.img from the 4.4.2 build? Also, how did you flash the system.img file. I recommend using fastboot mode to write it.

I ran into this same problem because I forgot I flashed Dalvik and Bionic. Same error in fact. I flashed the system.img rebooted and went straight back into recovery and pushed the update by ADB and it worked perfectly. Double check everything, because flashing the system.img should correct that error.
Phone: HTC One converted GPE --> Nexus 5

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013) LTE

nct2k
Old
(Last edited by nct2k; 11th June 2014 at 08:08 AM.) Reason: typo correction
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sola fide View Post
Are you sure you used the system.img from the 4.4.2 build? Also, how did you flash the system.img file. I recommend using fastboot mode to write it.

I ran into this same problem because I forgot I flashed Dalvik and Bionic. Same error in fact. I flashed the system.img rebooted and went straight back into recovery and pushed the update by ADB and it worked perfectly. Double check everything, because flashing the system.img should correct that error.
Yes, I used fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (extracted from razor-kot49h-factory-ebb4918e.tgz)
then used adb sideload df43279bcf6bb6a0ae403249c3e6f314d0a7eb77.signed-razor-KTU84L-from-KOT49H.df43279b.zip when the Nexus is in stock recovery mode

I've switched to TWRP (openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-flo.img), same error.

BTW, did you apply the KOT49E_stock_revert.zip before the sideload?

sola fide
Old
Thanks Meter 89

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nct2k View Post
Yes, I used fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (extracted from razor-kot49h-factory-ebb4918e.tgz)
then used adb sideload df43279bcf6bb6a0ae403249c3e6f314d0a7eb77.signed-razor-KTU84L-from-KOT49H.df43279b.zip when the Nexus is in stock recovery mode

I've switched to TWRP (openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-flo.img), same error.

BTW, did you apply the KOT49E_stock_revert.zip before the sideload?
After flashing recovery.img you also need to flash system.img pulled from the same tar file. That's why you're still getting the error. Only flashing the recovery file won't write over what the Dalvik and Bionic files edited.
Phone: HTC One converted GPE --> Nexus 5

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013) LTE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sola fide For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sbaeder
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sola fide View Post
After flashing recovery.img you also need to flash system.img pulled from the same tar file. That's why you're still getting the error. Only flashing the recovery file won't write over what the Dalvik and Bionic files edited.
In other words - ALL the OTA things can only work on 100% STOCK system. Personally, I used the WUG tool kit to flash a complete NEW, CLEAN, STOCK 4.4.3 (of course that does do a reset of the entire machine)...

You MIGHT be able to put back the stock runtime files that were changed and then do the update so you don't have to go "cold turkey", but my guess is that even that won't allow a update...For the amount of changes, you might just be better off sticking with 4.4.2

Good luck...
The Following User Says Thank You to sbaeder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nct2k
Old
(Last edited by nct2k; 12th June 2014 at 01:34 AM.) Reason: add details
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
My bad, flash system.img is enough, don't need to touch the recovery. Completed the upgrade and all my data retained.

Thanks a lot guys!

islammanjurul
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Is there anyway I can flash the system.img without any PC? I don't have access to any PC now and stuck on this installd error. Can't update to 4.4.3.