Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,661 Members 44,029 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows phone 8.1 developer preview

Tip us?

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2643
Any time anybody requests "{don't freaking tell me to google it}" I assume they're an <REDACTED> who thinks their time is more valuable that that of the forum members who they expect to answer their easily-looked-up facts for them, and also so unintelligent that they think they'll save time writing a post rather than just looking it up themselves. These are behaviors I actively dis-incentivize on the forum, for example by not answering even if I know the answer, in the hopes that you or somebody else reading this post in the future will learn.

By the way, the #1 rule of this forum is "Search before posting".

Now, if you meant to say "I looked for a good site but there are so many; which one do you all prefer?", or maybe "I searched but all I got were support and specifications sites, and I want discussion and announcements" or something else of that variety, you should have said that. Give people an opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge or Google-fu *without* sounding like an entitled <REDACTED> who can't be bothered to forum rules, and many of them will do so.

Oh, and it's "Lumia". I have no idea why people keep adding an extra 'n' to the name. It's a slightly weird letter combo in English, but not *that* weird, and it just looks wrong written with six letters instead of five so you don't even have the excuse that it "looks about right; I don't remember the real spelling".
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

agonzalez1010
Old
(Last edited by agonzalez1010; 13th June 2014 at 07:17 AM.) Reason: Removal of Question
Thanks Meter 5
The Following User Says Thank You to agonzalez1010 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
The individual who replied before hand, GDTD, is possible one of the few remaining developers that try and support the platform out in the open for no other benefit then to help and contribute to the community. Given the amount of inane questions that are asked on here through no other reason then laziness, much of which is directed at GDTD, its not hard to see why devs an long term contributors get a little peeved when asked questions that can easily be found out, the internet is full of just about anything you can think of, google even helps you find most of it, but xda is primary source of that information, not a regurgitator of it

Sent from my GT-I8750 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
Please Click Thanks below if I've helped at all, but more importantly please donate to XDA Developers to help keep this place running, 10 Euros isn't much and for that you get to have a funky wee Star
Please click Here to donate to
XDA-Developers
The Following User Says Thank You to dazza9075 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jilxz
Old
(Last edited by Jilxz; 7th June 2014 at 06:20 AM.) Reason: Posted this for wrong person
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermiguel View Post
1.- No idea about SMS transfers. Maybe iOS has its own storage system for storing sms.

2.- What do you mean by USB Streaming? Maybe you're confused, as the iPhone dock also has an analog line-out and can stream audio out of it. In Windows Phone, as well as in Android, you don't have that dock port as it's an Apple proprietary port. You're stuck with line out, which is not bad at all if you have a good cable and set it correctly.

3.- Currently, the best YouTube app for Windows Phone is MetroTube (which costs US$ 0.99). The other good app is YouTube HD (which is free). Both of them gives you great functionality and many options.

4.- Apple TV uses their own proprietary streaming system called AirPlay, while Nokia and every other phone manufacturer uses DLNA (which is a standard by the way). If you want your Apple TV to stream content from your phone (whether it's Windows Phone, Android, Blackberry, whatever), you need to download an app to your Apple TV device to work as a DLNA device. Once you've done that, you can easily stream content from your Nokia phone using Nokia Play To. (which uses DLNA)

5.- WPCentral is a good site with info. XDA forums are good as well.

6.- No idea as I have never used Google now myself. Sorry.

7.- You can use This or This app to see the phone battery percentage. Windows Phone 8.1 will show percentage on the notifications bar.

8.- There should be no problem at all configuring your enterprise account as "Exchange server" on the accounts settings.

Hope this post was helpful.
Cortana can give you the same thing as Google now. I like Cortana a lot better.

One site you can go to for more info on Windows Phone , is Windows Phone Central. http://www.wpcentral.com/

Hope I'm not in trouble for giving a link.

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilxz View Post
Cortana can give you the same thing as Google now. I like Cortana a lot better.

One site you can go to for more info on Windows Phone , is Windows Phone Central. http://www.wpcentral.com/

Hope I'm not in trouble for giving a link.

Why would breaking Forum rule number 11 get you in to trouble?

As a general rule of thumb, if another site has information that is relevant to your post then post that information HERE then supply a link to the person who deserves credit.

Telling people to just go somewhere else to contribute is not good practice for XDA to continue to thrive.
Please Click Thanks below if I've helped at all, but more importantly please donate to XDA Developers to help keep this place running, 10 Euros isn't much and for that you get to have a funky wee Star
Please click Here to donate to
XDA-Developers

Jilxz
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I'm really sorry . I never meant to break a rule. he was asking if there was somewhere he could get more info on Windows Phone and I gave him the link to where there is nothing but info on Windows Phone. I was trying to be helful and meant nothing against this great forum.

Thanks so much for reminding me of the rule as I confess I never read that rule.

agonzalez1010
Old
(Last edited by agonzalez1010; 13th June 2014 at 07:18 AM.) Reason: Removal of Comment
Thanks Meter 5

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2643
"don't freaking tell me to google it" is disrespectful on the face of it, in addition to bordering on an outright violation of the forum rules. We are *not* here to be your personal interface to publicly available information. You blew "Respect me and I'll respect you" with your very first post [EDIT: in this thread]; I don't know why you expected to be respected after insulting everybody who reads the forum with that (confrontational!) bit of childish petulance.

FYI, I'm about 75% sure I could get you banned for immature piece of ASCII "art" - the mods *might* just edit it out with a pointed message to you instead - but I haven't bothered reporting you *yet* simply because my skin is thick enough to put up with some random person on the Internet who has an entitlement complex; I see them every day. You just happened to win the lottery on which one I responded to on that particular day. You seem to be an otherwise decent person, aside from a thin skin and the aforementioned childishness. "Making fun of" indeed! Guess what: I made fun of President GW Bush for his absurd mispronunciations on national TV. Act the fool where people can see you and they'll treat you like one. But pointing out that you misspelled a 5-letter word deserved a "lol oops" response, at most. Grow up, kid.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

agonzalez1010
Old
(Last edited by agonzalez1010; 13th June 2014 at 07:19 AM.) Reason: Removal of Comment
Thanks Meter 5

Tags
microsoft, nega blog, windowsphone 8