Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,636 Members 53,232 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Please recommend development environment for a designer

Tip us?

nemuro
Old
(Last edited by nemuro; 12th June 2014 at 12:11 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Please recommend development environment for a designer

Hello,

I'm a designer, so I've got little to no programming experience, but I'm tired of waiting for a game that I like so I'd want to make it myself.
I'm looking for a simple way to develop android games, such as very simple text based RPG or a simple tower defense ( example: robot defense ).

I am now testing the waters with processing.org and I like it, but it's uses a trial and error process for the interface where I code and then test my changes on the phone after about 2 minutes while it builds and uploads.

What I am looking for
  • a free solution
  • powerful enough to do compicated stuff later on ( example: dweller beta rpg )
  • an assets centric interface ( way to drag an drop & manage a list of assets )
  • wysiwyg window where you drag and position buttons around and see changes as you do them with no need to build out what you have to preview the interface
  • rather well documented and supported by a community, popular ( ways to find books or youtube videos on making games )
  • (nice to have) export apk or even better a signed apk with my .keystore file
  • (optional) cross platform to ios with the same code
  • offline tool for windows so that I can develop anywhere with no internet
What I want do avoid
  • stupid limitations such as enforced splash screens stating it's using a free version, max number of assets, etc

Close but no cigar

That being said, I'm open to suggestions. Thank you in advance.
HTC Topaz - waiting for android port / HTC TYTN II - for kicks / HTC Wildfire - sold / Yinlips YDPG-18 - sold

HTC HD2 EU - sold
Radio: 2.12.50.02.2 - best battery for me
NAND: Redux - The smallest fastest working HD2 rom & Haldric's Stock Desire HD GB Rom
Kernel: In Tytung we trust.

Free stuff: Simple text icons & Free Wallpapers
Find my post useful? Instead of saying "thanks", click here (it will enlarge my e-penis)

nemuro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102

DONATE TO ME
Any pointers are welcomed.
HTC Topaz - waiting for android port / HTC TYTN II - for kicks / HTC Wildfire - sold / Yinlips YDPG-18 - sold

HTC HD2 EU - sold
Radio: 2.12.50.02.2 - best battery for me
NAND: Redux - The smallest fastest working HD2 rom & Haldric's Stock Desire HD GB Rom
Kernel: In Tytung we trust.

Free stuff: Simple text icons & Free Wallpapers
Find my post useful? Instead of saying "thanks", click here (it will enlarge my e-penis)

Trozzul
Old
Thanks Meter 193

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemuro View Post
Hello,

I'm a designer, so I've got little to no programming experience, but I'm tired of waiting for a game that I like so I'd want to make it myself.
I'm looking for a simple way to develop android games, such as very simple text based RPG or a simple tower defense ( example: robot defense ).

I am now testing the waters with processing.org and I like it, but it's uses a trial and error process for the interface where I code and then test my changes on the phone after about 2 minutes while it builds and uploads.

What I am looking for
  • a free solution
  • powerful enough to do compicated stuff later on ( example: dweller beta rpg )
  • an assets centric interface ( way to drag an drop & manage a list of assets )
  • wysiwyg window where you drag and position buttons around and see changes as you do them with no need to build out what you have to preview the interface
  • rather well documented and supported by a community, popular ( ways to find books or youtube videos on making games )
  • (nice to have) export apk or even better a signed apk with my .keystore file
  • (optional) cross platform to ios with the same code
  • offline tool for windows so that I can develop anywhere with no internet
What I want do avoid
  • stupid limitations such as enforced splash screens stating it's using a free version, max number of assets, etc

Close but no cigar

That being said, I'm open to suggestions. Thank you in advance.
i would recommend unity 3d, its free but the paid version (expensive...) is pretty great too, check out android studio as well, it might come in handy building the ui.
"Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
"How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
"You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here."

Motorola Moto X
Stock KitKat 4.4.4 XT1060
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Rom: Cyanogemod 11 (4.4.4) P5113

Asus Nexus 7
Stock (4.4.4) Broken Digitizer, any recommendations?
Both Stopped turning on for no reason
Nikon Coolpix s800c
Stock Gingerbread (2.3.3)