Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,458 Members 48,026 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stuck on Android 4.2!

Tip us?

tinkleondabeach
Old
(Last edited by tinkleondabeach; 11th June 2014 at 06:12 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Stuck on Android 4.2!

I apologize in advance for not finding an appropriate thread.

So I forget which recovery/bootloader I've used to root this Sprint SPH-L720 Galaxy S4.. I believe it is from shabbypenguin or something.

I love the root features such as adblock, native hotspot, etc, but I need KitKat..

I get a notification that says System update downloaded - Touch to install.

It is the MF9 Android System Update. It crashes on the bootloader whenever I try to upgrade.

My phone version is as follows:

Software Version: L720VPUAMDL
Hardware version: L720.08
Model Number: SPH-L720

Android Version: 4.2.2
Baseband Version: L720VPUAMDL
Kernel Version: 3.4.0 shabbypenguin@Minty-Fresh-14 #1 Wed May 8 11:08:56 EDT 2013
Build Number: JDQ39L720VPUAMDL

Is there a way I can upgrade to 4.4 on this phone without doing a hard reset?

Bootloader Error when I pressed restart and update (yes i typed out the output..):
Quote:
Install Untrusted Package? THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
--CLICKED Yes - Install untrusted zip
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/KNOXAgent.apk, "6ebdabec6f40122022d59e453eff4e5782464dea", "bd081641d9b7e5e12fea1c818cba85a8cd221d8a")
E: Error in /cache/bfeb51f4befc9f910dff1c6070f2d387aaac37de.update_SP H-L730_MDL_CSB_user_RP_to_MF9_CSB_user_RP.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted
Thanks in advance

frostedunit
Old
Thanks Meter 299
You cannot take an OTA update while rooted. This has been discussed 1000+ times.

There are several threads/guides about updating and keeping root and data. Please do your research.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to frostedunit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daniel4653
Old
Thanks Meter 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedunit View Post
You cannot take an OTA update while rooted. This has been discussed 1000+ times.

There are several threads/guides about updating and keeping root and data. Please do your research.

you are correct. Next question is probably going to be along the lines of "how do I go about installing the update then?". which has also been answered.

Team Kernelizers: Making the best out of your phone

tinkleondabeach
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedunit View Post

Thanks.

So I was able to update to MF9 just fine using a no-wipe zip. I was then stupid enough to try to odin a kitkat tar and bricked my phone, I tried to zip back to the MF9 to no avail. Is there a failsafe method to revert to MF9 or recover files from internal storage before I choose to do a hard reset? I have about 2 years of fuel log data in the internal storage

ROMANTiC KiD
Old
Thanks Meter 203
Once you Odin kit kat you get what called Knox bootloader making it impossible to downgrade at the moment. Your best bet is that your stuck with kit kat at the moment.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app