Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 47,264 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Newbie here with newbie questions

Tip us?

HeathicusF
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Newbie here with newbie questions

I come from the Samsung world. My SGS3 became physically non functional (broke screen including digitizer & LCD), so I bought a DROID Bionic off eBay to hold me over until contract renewal/upgrade time. It has the latest update on it.

I've been reading various threads and trying to figure out this new world, but I'm still a little confused. Or maybe just unsure of a few things and not sure what is still relevant information. A lot of the guide and how-to posts assume a knowledge of terminology that I don't have yet. I understand the concept of booting from different "slots" I SafeStrap, but I'm unsure quite how to get there.

Is Root required before installing SafeStrap?

Is the Motoshare method of rooting still the way to root? http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/to...g-new-exploit/

Is that any different from Easy Root? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2256439

What is House Of Moto? I found instructions for installing it, but I still don't know what it is.

Once I have SafeStrap and a custom rom in one of the slots, will I be able to boot automatically from the rom of my choice? Or will I have to choose it from a boot menu each reboot?

I'll probably have more stupid questions.
Samsung Captivate - Slim ICS (Now an MP3 player and game device for my daughter)

ShadyDreamer
Old
(Last edited by ShadyDreamer; 2nd June 2014 at 06:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathicusF View Post
Is Root required before installing SafeStrap?
Yes, you need root to install SafeStrap.

Quote:
Is the Motoshare method of rooting still the way to root? http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/to...g-new-exploit/

Is that any different from Easy Root? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2256439
Motoshare doesn't work on Windows. That "Easy Root" is just a small Linux virtual machine with Motoshare for those who are running Windows. There is also Safe Root, which works on a variety of devices up to Android 4.3, including the Bionic.

Quote:
What is House Of Moto? I found instructions for installing it, but I still don't know what it is.
It is a collection of tools, though as far as I know the only useful one on it for the Bionic is the one for restoring your phone firmware without clearing your data if you mess something up.

Quote:
Once I have SafeStrap and a custom rom in one of the slots, will I be able to boot automatically from the rom of my choice? Or will I have to choose it from a boot menu each reboot?
Yes, you can pick which system to boot up by default, stock or one of the slots. You do need to go back into SafeStrap to change the current slot if you want to boot a different one - it doesn't give you a choice during boot.

kschang
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyDreamer View Post
Yes, you can pick which system to boot up by default, stock or one of the slots. You do need to go back into SafeStrap to change the current slot if you want to boot a different one - it doesn't give you a choice during boot.
Slight nitpick. At boot Safestrap gives you a 10 second window where you can hit a key to boot into safestrap instead of the "default" boot ROM. (or you can hit a key to boot the ROM without the wait)

ShadyDreamer
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschang View Post
Slight nitpick. At boot Safestrap gives you a 10 second window where you can hit a key to boot into safestrap instead of the "default" boot ROM. (or you can hit a key to boot the ROM without the wait)
Yes, you have to boot into Safestrap to change which will boot; it does not give you a choice to boot a different installed ROM during boot without waiting for Safestrap recovery to boot, changing which slot to boot, then rebooting - which was my point. I didn't mean that it doesn't give you any choices at all, just not a choice of which ROM slot during boot.