Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,238 Members 48,262 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 7 G1 (2012) partition layout

Tip us?

wwr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 7 G1 (2012) partition layout

I'm playing with a Nexus 7 G1 to see what's under the hood for learning purposes.

I've learned already how to unlock, install custom recovery and root and now I'm trying to figure out how's the partition layout but I can't find any information about the storage architecture of the device.

I'd like to know how many storage devices are installed in the device, how they are partitioned and what's the aim of each partition.

I'd like to know where the bootloader, the recovery image and the operating system are physically stored.

In a few words I'd like to master an android device (or just my nexus 7) as I master my linux boxes. Can you help me with this?

Thank you!

razzmataz1478
Old
Thanks Meter 17
See /dev/block

Sent from my LT30p using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to razzmataz1478 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wwr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzmataz1478 View Post
See /dev/block
thanks! Your suggestion pointed me in the right direction and I ended up on this post on android.stackexchange .com/questions/14530/whats-the-android-equivalent-of-etc-fstab (sorry I can't post URLS yet) which has valuable information.

In my case these sources were useful:
  • cat /proc/partitions
  • cat /proc/devices
  • cat /fstab.$something where '$something'= grouper in my case

there is still something I can't clarify though:
  • what's the name of the sd device? there is no /dev/sd but in /proc/devices it's listed like sd
  • where does /recovery live? Is it a partition inside the main sd or is it a separated chip?

opssemnik
Old
Thanks Meter 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwr View Post
thanks! Your suggestion pointed me in the right direction and I ended up on this post on android.stackexchange .com/questions/14530/whats-the-android-equivalent-of-etc-fstab (sorry I can't post URLS yet) which has valuable information.

• cat /proc/partitions
  • cat /proc/devices

• what's the name of the sd device? there is no /dev/sd but in /proc/devices it's listed like sd
  • where does /recovery live? Is it a partition inside the main sd or is it a separated chip?
use parted /dev/block/mmcblk0
or go to /dev/block/platform/<the only folder here that i canīt remember the name>/by-name/
New Nexus 7 wifi / Black / 32gb - Android 4.4.4 stock
Galaxy S3 Intl(I9300) / purple / 16gb - blekola lite 6.1
The Following User Says Thank You to opssemnik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

razzmataz1478
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwr View Post

• cat /proc/partitions
  • cat /proc/devices

The "SD" isn't a actually an SD. It's an emulated FUSE filesystem that lives in inside /data/media. So, the SD is the userdate partition by name.

Recovery, by name, is called SOS.

Sent from my LT30p using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to razzmataz1478 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]