No registration required

[Q] KitKat 4.4.2 Sd card fix

OP Freydan

12th June 2014, 12:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hi, I'm new. I hope you could help me.
First things first. 'Sony xperia tablet Z wifi 16gb' is my first tablet and android device.

SGP3111
Android 4.4.2
Kernel 3.40-perf-g32ce454
Build 10.5.A.0.230

I upgraded it to 4.4.2 and I'm really disappointed about the restriction to write on the external sd card. I read about the new changes on the android official site, but there was nothing about sd card write permission changes. I didn't see it coming.

Is there a way to fix this problem without rooting the device? I never done something like that, I don't want to loose my warranty and it seems that there are many thing to consider.

I read that if backup my TA partition, I can eventually restore it later and keep my warranty, but I also read that I need root permission to do such thing and my bootloader must be locked. And some root procedure requires the bootloader to be unlocked.
If I root my device I won't be able to update it with official update, I'll have to do it manually.
If I change ROM, MHL won't work anymore.
Is that all right? I'm confused :\

I also don't want to loose my purchased app, my settings and my savegames.. I really spend a lot of time on this tablet. A simple backup will resolve all of that?

Is there a way to fix everything?
Thank you for your patience and your time.
Last edited by Freydan; 12th June 2014 at 12:24 PM.
12th June 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #2  
LYON
Thanks Meter: 55

107 posts
More
Hi, you must root to bypass sd restricitions sorry
13th June 2014, 09:40 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
I'm also new to Android, the Z is also my first tablet and I did the same thing you did. I could not use my SD-card anymore. So I read a lot in the internet. The only thing you can do is to root your device. I did it yesterday and now I am happy again. If there is something broken on your device you still can remove root before sending it back.

I did a Titanium Backup before. But I think this only works if you are rooted. Is this the truth? I had a great restore, everything looks like before. But there should be some data backed up to Google if you have activated this point.

You will not loose your purchased apps. Google Playstore knows which apps you have purchased in the past and you are able to load them "for free".

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

FYI, this is the instruction which worked fine for me:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2759141
The Following User Says Thank You to LTE84 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 12:27 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTE84

I'm also new to Android, the Z is also my first tablet and I did the same thing you did. I could not use my SD-card anymore. So I read a lot in the internet. The only thing you can do is to root your device. I did it yesterday and now I am happy again. If there is something broken on your device you still can remove root before sending it back.

I did a Titanium Backup before. But I think this only works if you are rooted. Is this the truth? I had a great restore, everything looks like before. But there should be some data backed up to Google if you have activated this point.

You will not loose your purchased apps. Google Playstore knows which apps you have purchased in the past and you are able to load them "for free".

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

FYI, this is the instruction which worked fine for me:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2759141

nice post, but I have some questions.

Did you make a TA partition backup? I read that this thing is what make your warranty still intact.
Titanium backup needs root permission, so I cannot do that. Did you use titanium app or sony pc companion backup?
Did you also restore app settings and game savegames?
Are you using 4.4.2 official kitkat with root or some other ROM? I read that MHL wont work anymore on that.

Thank you.
13th June 2014, 04:27 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
No I did'nt have a TA-Backup. Right after I got my tablet I rooted it with Android 4.3 before I read something about TA-Backup. But I think it's a good idea to do so. Here is a nice link: http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...xperia-device/

So now you know, I started with a rooted device. (My thought was to root it right after I got it, to don't loose data when I try to root it a few month later. When there was Android 4.4 I thought I will try without root. That was a very bad idea. I had so much problems with restrictions from Android. A lot of Apps were not running anymore which even did not need root with Android 4.3.) So I used Titanium Backup as backup solution and had a backup from my 4.3 rooted installation. Titanium Backup is really great. It recovered every App setting (savegames, settings) and also system settings like Wifi keys, app symbols at the screen and so on. I only had to download some big game files at the first start automatically (settings and savegames were still recovered).Titanium Backup saves the backup on your SD-card.

For your info, if you use my linked instruction, the SD-card will not be formated. But a backup is recommended.

I used the Kitkat ROM from the link, I think this is the official one.

I think google does a backup of some of your Apps settings when you are connected with your google account. Am I right? But I'm not sure which data is backed up. Can anybody else answere this question? But I think there will be a way to backup most of your data without root.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread