Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Enable Call Recording on Xperia Z2 and Z3

Call recording, while not legal in every part of the world, is quite handy in certain situations. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Device always boots into recovery

OP twofive

6th June 2014, 02:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

24 posts
Hey there XDA, I have a strange problem. Maybe you can help me out.

I just got my Moto G today and after unlocking the bootloader, the first thing I did was flash TWRP (fastboot flash recovery TWRP-2.7.0.0-falcon.img).
I did this with the normal fastboot from the Android SDK, not the Motorola version.

Now everytime I start the device, it always boots right into recovery. Always. Doesn't matter if there's TWRP, CWM or Stock installed.
I also flashed the device to GPE afterwards (using the Motorola fastboot) which should've erased everything, but it still does it.

The only way I can get into the actual system is by flashing the normal boot.img as recovery (fastboot flash recovery boot.img).

Can someone please shed some light on this for me? I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Kenny
Last edited by twofive; 6th June 2014 at 03:03 PM.
7th June 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #2  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 5

61 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twofive

I just got my Moto G today and after unlocking the bootloader, the first thing I did was flash TWRP (fastboot flash recovery TWRP-2.7.0.0-falcon.img).
I did this with the normal fastboot from the Android SDK, not the Motorola version.

Now everytime I start the device, it always boots right into recovery. Always. Doesn't matter if there's TWRP, CWM or Stock installed.
I also flashed the device to GPE afterwards (using the Motorola fastboot) which should've erased everything, but it still does it.

The only way I can get into the actual system is by flashing the normal boot.img as recovery (fastboot flash recovery boot.img).

Thanks in advance.
Kenny

on the custom recovery menu screen, when you press REBOOT then REBOOT SYSTEM, does it? Or does it just reboot back into recovery?
9th June 2014, 11:25 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

24 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RAN7ON

on the custom recovery menu screen, when you press REBOOT then REBOOT SYSTEM, does it? Or does it just reboot back into recovery?

It boots right back into Recovery. It always does that, no matter if I do it from the OS, the bootloader, whatever.
9th June 2014, 11:37 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 15

82 posts
More
Have you tried flashing through fastboot the update for your device ?
9th June 2014, 03:25 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 9

120 posts
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Kenny

You could try re flashing the stock firmware. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2542219 Good luck, it will delete everything on the phone.

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Free mobile app
9th June 2014, 06:53 PM   |  #6  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 5

61 posts
More
Quote:

It boots right back into Recovery. It always does that, no matter if I do it from the OS, the bootloader, whatever.

hmmm....something similar happened to me about 2 days ago when I DL the ota, then tried to install it, but it failed. the phone rebooted into the system and a minute later it roobooted itsself back into recovery and tried to install the update again. Of course, the ota's are DL to the /cache folder by default, but once install is attempted, it erases it from that folder, but phone kept rebooting and trying to install, it failed then rebooted again into recovery. It did this like 5x until I was able to stop this by restoring a prev backup. Not sure if this is your situation, but in posting this experience it might help someone

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Also, check in your recovery if there is something called 'DISABLE RECOVERY FLASH' and make sure it is checked before rebooting the first time after installing recovery. I maybe mistaking, but I thought it was a bug only found on some earlier CWM builds, not found on TWRP...but recovery flash would make the phone do what you are describing
9th June 2014, 09:11 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 22

83 posts
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Kenny

You shouldn't have that issue, but you might have to try the latest 2.6.x branch of TWRP. I've seen both but never know which one is really better.

Also, why use the GPE edition? The moto stuff in the moto g is better than the google equivalents, especially the camera app and moto assist, but to each his own.
10th June 2014, 10:23 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

24 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets

Also, why use the GPE edition? The moto stuff in the moto g is better than the google equivalents, especially the camera app and moto assist, but to each his own.

I also own a Nexus 5, Xperia Z Ultra flashed to GPE, and a Nexus 7. I just like having the same Software on all of them.
13th June 2014, 09:06 PM   |  #9  
Flag Westfield
Thanks Meter: 10

15 posts
More
Hey try this.
Quote:

I also own a Nexus 5, Xperia Z Ultra flashed to GPE, and a Nexus 7. I just like having the same Software on all of them.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx3f...aDQ/edit?pli=1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2746401

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread