Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,702 Members 53,668 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Device always boots into recovery

Tip us?

twofive
Old
(Last edited by twofive; 6th June 2014 at 02:03 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Device always boots into recovery

Hey there XDA, I have a strange problem. Maybe you can help me out.

I just got my Moto G today and after unlocking the bootloader, the first thing I did was flash TWRP (fastboot flash recovery TWRP-2.7.0.0-falcon.img).
I did this with the normal fastboot from the Android SDK, not the Motorola version.

Now everytime I start the device, it always boots right into recovery. Always. Doesn't matter if there's TWRP, CWM or Stock installed.
I also flashed the device to GPE afterwards (using the Motorola fastboot) which should've erased everything, but it still does it.

The only way I can get into the actual system is by flashing the normal boot.img as recovery (fastboot flash recovery boot.img).

Can someone please shed some light on this for me? I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Kenny

3RAN7ON
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by twofive View Post

I just got my Moto G today and after unlocking the bootloader, the first thing I did was flash TWRP (fastboot flash recovery TWRP-2.7.0.0-falcon.img).
I did this with the normal fastboot from the Android SDK, not the Motorola version.

Now everytime I start the device, it always boots right into recovery. Always. Doesn't matter if there's TWRP, CWM or Stock installed.
I also flashed the device to GPE afterwards (using the Motorola fastboot) which should've erased everything, but it still does it.

The only way I can get into the actual system is by flashing the normal boot.img as recovery (fastboot flash recovery boot.img).

Thanks in advance.
Kenny
on the custom recovery menu screen, when you press REBOOT then REBOOT SYSTEM, does it? Or does it just reboot back into recovery?
An armed society is a polite society
-Robert A. Heinlein

twofive
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RAN7ON View Post
on the custom recovery menu screen, when you press REBOOT then REBOOT SYSTEM, does it? Or does it just reboot back into recovery?
It boots right back into Recovery. It always does that, no matter if I do it from the OS, the bootloader, whatever.

jikobutsu
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Have you tried flashing through fastboot the update for your device ?

Fede37
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Kenny
You could try re flashing the stock firmware. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2542219 Good luck, it will delete everything on the phone.

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Free mobile app

3RAN7ON
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
It boots right back into Recovery. It always does that, no matter if I do it from the OS, the bootloader, whatever.
hmmm....something similar happened to me about 2 days ago when I DL the ota, then tried to install it, but it failed. the phone rebooted into the system and a minute later it roobooted itsself back into recovery and tried to install the update again. Of course, the ota's are DL to the /cache folder by default, but once install is attempted, it erases it from that folder, but phone kept rebooting and trying to install, it failed then rebooted again into recovery. It did this like 5x until I was able to stop this by restoring a prev backup. Not sure if this is your situation, but in posting this experience it might help someone

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Also, check in your recovery if there is something called 'DISABLE RECOVERY FLASH' and make sure it is checked before rebooting the first time after installing recovery. I maybe mistaking, but I thought it was a bug only found on some earlier CWM builds, not found on TWRP...but recovery flash would make the phone do what you are describing
An armed society is a polite society
-Robert A. Heinlein

sprockkets
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Kenny
You shouldn't have that issue, but you might have to try the latest 2.6.x branch of TWRP. I've seen both but never know which one is really better.

Also, why use the GPE edition? The moto stuff in the moto g is better than the google equivalents, especially the camera app and moto assist, but to each his own.

twofive
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post
Also, why use the GPE edition? The moto stuff in the moto g is better than the google equivalents, especially the camera app and moto assist, but to each his own.
I also own a Nexus 5, Xperia Z Ultra flashed to GPE, and a Nexus 7. I just like having the same Software on all of them.

m.yuro
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Default Hey try this.

Quote:
I also own a Nexus 5, Xperia Z Ultra flashed to GPE, and a Nexus 7. I just like having the same Software on all of them.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx3f...aDQ/edit?pli=1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2746401