[DISCUSS]Fragmentation-Potential of android if OEMs used something like Xposed?

OP Jarmezrocks

13th June 2014, 08:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gold Coast
Thanks Meter: 462

943 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ok, first up
Rules of this discussion
This is a discussion not a baited question and I certainly hope not a flame war.
If you have an opinion please do share and discuss all opinions will be valid. My only rules are please refrain from personal attacks to any member responding, if your opinion differs you can only discuss your take on a specific point in total exclusion anyone who posted that has a differing opinion to you. In other words I am making a rule that you can't respond directly to the previous person about how "you think they are wrong because".....you may only express your opinion, trust me....we are humans we will understand how it is similar or different. I want to try it this was in hope this might reduce the likelihood of fights/arguments or this thread getting locked.

How this came about
Now, how this came about is my wondering of where the future of Android is headed? I know Google has some plans with Android silver and there has been long discussions and opinions on potential "scheduled releases" so it left me wondering how this fits in with OEMs with the push to try release their version of "branded" firmware within similar time frames to Google's vanilla android/Nexus/soon to be "silver" Android? I started to ponder the potential of OEMs releasing standard Android with all their customization bundled up in say something similar to Xposed framework.

The current status
I understand that several OEMs have their own frameworks already, like touchwiz, rosie, sense what ever, but they still rely on a heavily modified version of the Android framework at their core; what if all of those changes were shifted to an "Xposed like" solution. Note: I explicitly say "Xposed like" for the fact that Xposed is actually a developer solution and is not licensed for commercial use and never was.

Discuss
All objections aside, Do users here think that potential for Android would be greatly improved if this was a possibility?

You are open to your opinion now, and I am already pre-empting many of the responses any number of objections of what it couldn't and wouldn't happen, so lay them out here, I am actually keen to see if other people have the same objections as I currently do and even more interested in hearing from members that have potential solutions to the various challenges

Maybe a simple Pros and Cons combined with challenges and solutions.

Pros:
Android could potentially become less fragmented
Android releases could become more streamline and speedier

Cons
Could mean a lot less diversity (and this is some of the reasons people appreciate and love Android)
OEM customisations would become less personalised and much easier to port (this is a pro for us but a con for OEMs who invest heavily in many of their customisations so that users can only have certain functionality on their devices)

If you think another layout or even a poll would be better then let us know and share your thoughts on where this thread should go

Cheers
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fragmentation, framework, future android, oem, xposed
Previous Thread Next Thread