Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,690 Members 48,166 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help me restore my M7 to get OTA Sense 6

Tip us?

romeo7151
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Help me restore my M7 to get OTA Sense 6

Hello friends
I have a HTC One M7, US factory unlocked 32 gigs model, initially it was running on stock ROM's but to get 4.4.2 OTA Kitkat with sense 5.5 i had gone completely stock, relocked my bootloader and used 4.3 RUU from Htc dev center. After flashing 4.3 RUU, i had got a prompt update to 4.4.2 OTA and it went smoothly. The phone is stock since then and few days back tried updating to Sense 6.0 but the phone tried updating OTA, showed me a red triangle and reported "system/app/google.apk has unexpected contents" and the update stopped.

Am totally clueless as to what is wrong with the phone now, how do i correct this error to get OTA update, i cant find the 4.4.2 RUU on htc site. Currently running on 4.19.1540.9 so can i again flash 4.3 RUU, then update OTA to 4.4.2 and then another OTA to sense 6.0? Or is there a short and easy way out?

Thanks

alray
Old
(Last edited by alray; 12th June 2014 at 06:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo7151 View Post
Hello friends
I have a HTC One M7, US factory unlocked 32 gigs model, initially it was running on stock ROM's but to get 4.4.2 OTA Kitkat with sense 5.5 i had gone completely stock, relocked my bootloader and used 4.3 RUU from Htc dev center. After flashing 4.3 RUU, i had got a prompt update to 4.4.2 OTA and it went smoothly. The phone is stock since then and few days back tried updating to Sense 6.0 but the phone tried updating OTA, showed me a red triangle and reported "system/app/google.apk has unexpected contents" and the update stopped.

Am totally clueless as to what is wrong with the phone now, how do i correct this error to get OTA update, i cant find the 4.4.2 RUU on htc site. Currently running on 4.19.1540.9 so can i again flash 4.3 RUU, then update OTA to 4.4.2 and then another OTA to sense 6.0? Or is there a short and easy way out?

Thanks
please post the output of ''fastboot getvar all'' except imei and sn. There is a 4.19.1540.9 RUU so in theory, you should be able to run it and update to 5.11.1540

is your bootloader locked or unlocked?

http://www.htc1guru.com/dld/ruu_m7_u..._signed_3-exe/
http://androidruu.com/getdownload.ph...7_signed_3.exe
If I've helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want a reply, quote or mention me using @alray

Useful links for the HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

romeo7151
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for your help alray, posting the getvar all below. The bootloader is locked as of now showing re-locked.

c:\mini-sdk>fastboot getvar all
< waiting for device >
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.23.3263.28
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.19.1540.9
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: FA34TW904XXX
(bootloader) imei: 35443905990XXX
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: BS_US001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4111mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-4dab9d12
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.101s

Quote:
Originally Posted by alray View Post
please post the output of ''fastboot getvar all'' except imei and sn. There is a 4.19.1540.9 RUU so in theory, you should be able to run it and update to 5.11.1540

SaHiLzZ
Old
(Last edited by SaHiLzZ; 12th June 2014 at 09:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 395
Something is off.

There is no Google.apk ...

Seocondly here is the checker file from OTA.. for eg.

apply_patch_check("/system/app/Gmail2.apk", "1320556b1253fba48ef13ca56a53c3bf1994069b", "73cf8dcc9241d5055c57317c92c1b54566206d4a") || abort("\"/system/app/Gmail2.apk\" has unexpected contents.");
set_progress(0.054699);

That seems to be doing some kind of a md5 check on Gmail2.apk before patching..

Maybe you need to re-run the RUU for 4.x.x.x (I have not been able to run it myself) and if incase it doesn't run, then S-oFF and go back to 3.x.x.x RUU, and then update away.

Last option will be restore a working nandroid of 5.x.x.x and install firmware.zip from 5.x.x.x OTA.. (I do not suggest it unless you absolutely have to.. good chances of things going bad.. even if you follow directions, specially without S-OFF)

---

ALSO...if you can get the exact file name, MAYBE we can get the ORIGINAL file from a working 4.4.2/Sense 5.5 firmware.

I am not suggesting this fix, but for more reading: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1945938 This is for Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to SaHiLzZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

romeo7151
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks Sahil,
I did the OTA again to get the file name and got system/app/plusone.apk has unexpected contents. So this is where the problem lies in.
Can you tell why the 4.xx RUU are not working, any reason why it didnt work in your case. That was what i was planning to do. How do we change the system apps with stock ones? Read that thread, can we flash system.img? Is it safe? I would need to unlock the bootloader again for it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaHiLzZ View Post
Something is off.

There is no Google.apk ...

Seocondly here is the checker file from OTA.. for eg.

apply_patch_check("/system/app/Gmail2.apk", "1320556b1253fba48ef13ca56a53c3bf1994069b", "73cf8dcc9241d5055c57317c92c1b54566206d4a") || abort("\"/system/app/Gmail2.apk\" has unexpected contents.");
set_progress(0.054699);

That seems to be doing some kind of a md5 check on Gmail2.apk before patching..

Maybe you need to re-run the RUU for 4.x.x.x (I have not been able to run it myself) and if incase it doesn't run, then S-oFF and go back to 3.x.x.x RUU, and then update away.

Last option will be restore a working nandroid of 5.x.x.x and install firmware.zip from 5.x.x.x OTA.. (I do not suggest it unless you absolutely have to.. good chances of things going bad.. even if you follow directions, specially without S-OFF)

---

ALSO...if you can get the exact file name, MAYBE we can get the ORIGINAL file from a working 4.4.2/Sense 5.5 firmware.

I am not suggesting this fix, but for more reading: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1945938 This is for Nexus 7

SaHiLzZ
Old
Thanks Meter 395
Quote:
Thanks Sahil,
I did the OTA again to get the file name and got system/app/plusone.apk has unexpected contents. So this is where the problem lies in.
Can you tell why the 4.xx RUU are not working, any reason why it didnt work in your case. That was what i was planning to do. How do we change the system apps with stock ones? Read that thread, can we flash system.img? Is it safe? I would need to unlock the bootloader again for it, right?
I am not sure why 4.x RUU are not working. You should try it on your computer however, as that will be the best bet.

You should also S-OFF before doing the OTA right now, as S-OFF will allow you to downgrade as a get out of jail card.

DO NOT FLASH SYSTEM.IMG... I just linked the thread for what the updater script is doing, do not follow anything from that thread. I REPEAT!!

Have you ever used Titanium backup or file explorer to delete apps from system partition?
The Following User Says Thank You to SaHiLzZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

romeo7151
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks bro, will try the RUU in a couple of days and update as to what happens. No clue on how to S-OFF but read a few threads on rev-one and firewater. Should i use firewater to S-OFF the device? Hboot is 1.56. As you say, will not flash the SYSTEM.IMG, not that adventurous though .
I have never ever used titanium backup or used root/file explorer to delete any system apps but did read that unlocking bootloader on HTC devices does delete a few system apps, maybe that is what's causing this issue or either it is just with this update, if those system files were missing, the phone should not have updated OTA to 4.4.2 Sense 5.5 when i had used 4.3 RUU and then did OTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaHiLzZ View Post
I am not sure why 4.x RUU are not working. You should try it on your computer however, as that will be the best bet.

You should also S-OFF before doing the OTA right now, as S-OFF will allow you to downgrade as a get out of jail card.

DO NOT FLASH SYSTEM.IMG... I just linked the thread for what the updater script is doing, do not follow anything from that thread. I REPEAT!!

Have you ever used Titanium backup or file explorer to delete apps from system partition?

alray
Old
(Last edited by alray; 14th June 2014 at 06:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 913
Quote:
Thanks bro, will try the RUU in a couple of days and update as to what happens. No clue on how to S-OFF but read a few threads on rev-one and firewater. Should i use firewater to S-OFF the device? Hboot is 1.56. As you say, will not flash the SYSTEM.IMG, not that adventurous though .
use firewater, revone is for hboot 1.44 only.

Quote:
did read that unlocking bootloader on HTC devices does delete a few system apps
unlocking bootloader with htcdev.com wipe /data including the sub-folders /data/storage/0 (sdcard) and /preload (/data/preload) where some HTC app are stored (flashlight, calculator, soundhound, weather animations etc etc. Some updates patches these files, if they are missing, the update will fail (MD5 check will fail) and report i.e ''unexpected content in /media/preload/calculator.apk''. Unlocking the bootloader doesn't delete file in /system, however its possible that some /system files were modified or deleted using root/custom kernel/s-off. Thats probably why you have a "unexpected content" (Md5 mismatch) of your /system/app/plusone.apk.

There is a nice post from nkk71 that explain everything in details: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...76&postcount=9

Quote:
if those system files were missing, the phone should not have updated OTA to 4.4.2 Sense 5.5 when i had used 4.3 RUU and then did OTA.
Only specific files are patched during an ota update, so in theory its possible to do an ota update even if some files are missing/modified. If the updater-script of the ota doesn't check for those files (no patch to apply to those files) there is no reason for the installation to fail. So its possible that your plusone.apk was deleted/modified before that update.

and BTW plusone.apk seems to be Google+ for HTC One., will try to find the original file from te ota.zip I have on my computer.

edit: looks like plusone.apk was patched in 4.19.1540.4: so plusone.apk from 4.19.1540.4 or 4.19.1540.9 should do the job.

Quote:
apply_patch_check("/system/app/PlusOne.apk", "eb47d88d7a485509637a9c8b2027952c7dfd2f73", "ee503ad46dd0d209d294121925e4ee05b3fb82d6") || abort("\"/system/app/PlusOne.apk\" has unexpected contents.");
then

Quote:
assert(apply_patch("/system/app/PlusOne.apk", "-",
eb47d88d7a485509637a9c8b2027952c7dfd2f73, 22780041,
ee503ad46dd0d209d294121925e4ee05b3fb82d6, package_extract_file("patch/system/app/PlusOne.apk.p")));

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

try this one, its from my 4.19.1540.9 backup. push it to /system/app and set permission to -rw-r--r--

try to update again and see if the script report any other "unexpected content" errors, if yes write them down and i'll send you the needed files.
If I've helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want a reply, quote or mention me using @alray

Useful links for the HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot