FORUMS

Which OEM Would You Like to Help?

Most manufacturers have moments of greatness and moments of decadence, and in the past few years … more

Root T-Mobile S6/Edge on 5.1.1 Without Tripping Knox

If you purchase phones from a carrier, you may be no stranger to the difficulties … more

IonVR Coming Soon, HTC M9 Dev Edition Gets Android 5.1 – XDA TV

The HTC M9 Developer Edition has received Android 5.1. That and … more

Android 5.1.1 Omni ROM For Motorola Xoom

Back in Feb 2011, the Motorola Xoom became the first device to be sold with Android 3.0 … more

Should I unroot first if I want to accept the 4.4.3 OTA update from Verizon?

65 posts
Thanks Meter: 4
 
By youphone, Member on 12th June 2014, 06:14 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Should I unroot first if I want to accept the 4.4.3 OTA update from Verizon?

My VZW Note 2 was rooted via Saferoot. Then I disabled SDM and FWupgrade by renaming them to *.bak.

I don't mind resetting everything to factory default. If I do that, should I unroot as well?

Thanks!
 
 
12th June 2014, 07:37 PM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
nope you shouldnt have to unroot. However, do understand that there is a chance that you cannot root in the future with 4.4 due to Knox 2.0. We just have to hope developers find a new way to root/unlock bootloader.
12th June 2014, 10:03 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushypizza

nope you shouldnt have to unroot. However, do understand that there is a chance that you cannot root in the future with 4.4 due to Knox 2.0. We just have to hope developers find a new way to root/unlock bootloader.

Thanks! That exactly what confuses me right now.

If I don't unroot and turn on SDM/FWupgrade to allow 4.4.3 OTA update to
be installed on my rooted Note 2,will the rooting disappear afterwards?
(going back to rooted state by itself?)

Or will the Note 2 remain rooted?

Thanks!
12th June 2014, 11:08 PM |#4  
DreamFX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 675
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by youphone

Thanks! That exactly what confuses me right now.

If I don't unroot and turn on SDM/FWupgrade to allow 4.4.3 OTA update to
be installed on my rooted Note 2,will the rooting disappear afterwards?
(going back to rooted state by itself?)

Or will the Note 2 remain rooted?

Thanks!

There is no 4.4.3 Ota. Only 4.4.2. And yes you will lose root. It's not currently rooted.
12th June 2014, 11:58 PM |#5  
coolpoete's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Huntsville, AL
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Never take the OTA's. Just wait for one of the ROM developers to make a ROM based on the OTA.
13th June 2014, 04:35 AM |#6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamFX

There is no 4.4.3 Ota. Only 4.4.2. And yes you will lose root. It's not currently rooted.


yeah, I meant 4.4.2


If my Galaxy Note 2 is currently rooted, it will not lose root after 4.4.2 is installed. Is this correct?
13th June 2014, 04:36 AM |#7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpoete

Never take the OTA's. Just wait for one of the ROM developers to make a ROM based on the OTA.


Is that even possible on a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 that came from Samsung with 4.3?
13th June 2014, 05:05 AM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by youphone

Is that even possible on a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 that came from Samsung with 4.3?

Once you update using the OTA 4.4, you WILL LOSE root.

If your phone came with 4.3, then it is not possible to flash another rom since the bootloader is locked. Root is possible though.
13th June 2014, 09:48 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushypizza

Once you update using the OTA 4.4, you WILL LOSE root.

If your phone came with 4.3, then it is not possible to flash another rom since the bootloader is locked. Root is possible though.

Actually it is still possible to flash custom roms with locked bootloader: safestrap.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes