FORUMS

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more

Cyngn Explained: Who’s Cyanogen, What’s Cyanogen OS?

While Cyanogen, Inc has been the source of many headlines lately, there … more

Verizon Moto X 2014 Receives Root On Kitkat 4.4.4

The Verizon Moto X 2014 has finally received root, albeit only on Kitkat 4.4.4 … more

Android 5.1.1 Released, Google Cell Service – XDA TV

Android Lollipop 5.1.1 has been released. That and much more news is covered … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] CM11, CROM1-X and LAN adapter?

13th June 2014, 07:22 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
I'm about to get a TF700 and dock.
I know the stock kernel comes with drivers for the ASIX AX88772 chipset (USB-LAN adapter).

I plan to switch to either CM11 or CROM1-X - and I'd like to know if either (or both) have the ASIX AX88772 chipset drivers.
CM typically comes with its own kernel (true here?) so even if you don't know what I'm going on about, if you're running CM11 and using a wired LAN adapter, I'd like to know.
If you're using CROM1-X and an adapter I'd like to know about that too - and the kernel you're running (if it doesn't come with its own like CM - hey newbie here).

Thanks!

BTW, anyone got a link to a CM11/CROM1-X comparison? I won't be using the 700 as a navigation device or clock, so CMs profiles and quiet hours are likely not that important. Thx!
 
 
13th June 2014, 07:47 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 633
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure

I'm about to get a TF700 and dock.
I know the stock kernel comes with drivers for the ASIX AX88772 chipset (USB-LAN adapter).

I plan to switch to either CM11 or CROM1-X - and I'd like to know if either (or both) have the ASIX AX88772 chipset drivers.
CM typically comes with its own kernel (true here?) so even if you don't know what I'm going on about, if you're running CM11 and using a wired LAN adapter, I'd like to know.
If you're using CROM1-X and an adapter I'd like to know about that too - and the kernel you're running (if it doesn't come with its own like CM - hey newbie here).

Thanks!

BTW, anyone got a link to a CM11/CROM1-X comparison? I won't be using the 700 as a navigation device or clock, so CMs profiles and quiet hours are likely not that important. Thx!

You ask a little too much as a "newbie".... The Cromi-X should have the module and you may want to load it yourselves... I don't think that it is loaded by default, good luck..

BTW, the module should be ASIX AX88xxx Based USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapters....
13th June 2014, 09:22 PM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,731
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeKnow

You ask a little too much as a "newbie".... The Cromi-X should have the module and you may want to load it yourselves... I don't think that it is loaded by default, good luck..

All drivers are in the kernel, except bcmdhd and cfg80211, and the proprietary tntfs and texfat modules. And my kernel has only more, but not fewer drivers than the stock kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 09:43 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 633
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that

All drivers are in the kernel, except bcmdhd and cfg80211, and the proprietary tntfs and texfat modules. And my kernel has only more, but not fewer drivers than the stock kernel.

Thanks _that... Most of the drivers are not static but use as modules, am I correct? I don't think that I see the ASIX AX88772 is loading any where or I am totally lost and don't what I am talking about... Just a common sense, if it is not running, then you can use it and hope that you can point me in a right direction so I know a little more about this stuff, thanks...
13th June 2014, 09:48 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,731
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeKnow

Thanks _that... Most of the drivers are not static but use as modules, am I correct?

No, most of the drivers are compiled into the kernel, with the exception of the modules I mentioned above. To see which drivers are in the kernel, you can get /proc/config.gz from the device, that's the gzipped kernel config file.
The Following User Says Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 09:58 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 633
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that

No, most of the drivers are compiled into the kernel, with the exception of the modules I mentioned above. To see which drivers are in the kernel, you can get /proc/config.gz from the device, that's the gzipped kernel config file.

Thanks _that... I will load your kernel on my device and check them out... I thought that I saw the ASIX AX88xxx is compiled as a (M) or module in the configuration.. The learning process is never ending, hahaha....
13th June 2014, 10:57 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeKnow

You ask a little too much as a "newbie".... The Cromi-X should have the module and you may want to load it yourselves... I don't think that it is loaded by default, good luck..

BTW, the module should be ASIX AX88xxx Based USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapters....

I'm a newbie in this forum - don't even have a 700 yet (in transit).
I also may be very confused: I've thought that Android worked like Linux, ie drivers are compiled in, not dynamically loaded like in Windows. Is that wrong?

Anyway, rather than load a ROM and kernel, and get really attached to it and then find out I can't use TCP Dump for wireshark style analysis (major reason I tote a laptop) I thought I'd, well, ask whether an adapter would work on non-stock.

Thanks for the AX88xxx. See? Definitely a newbie
13th June 2014, 11:10 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 633
 
More
@_that

I checked your _defconfig and you have a "built-in" driver for the ASIX AX88772...

I believed that Hund is a Module the last time that I checked.. I thought that they are a default configuration but I guess that both of you set them differently, haha... Thanks for the information...

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure

Thanks for the AX88xxx. See? Definitely a newbie

Haha, I don't know much about android and saw your question while I was messing around with the configuration file... Just want to throw the statement out there and hope that it helps. BTW, I was joking with my statement with the "silly" icon. Oops. sorry...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Transformer TF700 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank