Native ubuntu on tegra note 7 ?

Search This thread

vchircu

Nov 4, 2011
Hey guys , ive been searching for days but cant seem to find a guide or download for this anyewhere , was wondering is it possible to boot ubuntu natively on our tegra note 7 ? ive already tried and suceeded in running ubuntu in android using the chroot method but i want to know is it possible to boot straight to / dualboot ubuntu ?
Thanks in advanced :p

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
Hey guys , ive been searching for days but cant seem to find a guide or download for this anyewhere , was wondering is it possible to boot ubuntu natively on our tegra note 7 ? ive already tried and suceeded in running ubuntu in android using the chroot method but i want to know is it possible to boot straight to / dualboot ubuntu ?

I take it you mean Ubuntu in its direct form like the standard Desktop OS ?

If so there is a arm version of Ubuntu Server 14.04 coming out soon but thats a ARMv8 only. Now heres the catch our Tegra Note 7 is based on a Coretx A15 SOC which is ARMv7.

Now the only version of Ubuntu i know that was ported to ARMv7 was Ubuntu 12.04.

There was a Tegra 2 Version of this which you can read about here : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/TEGRA/AC100

So its possible, however as of yet the only other option would be Ubuntu Touch but thats not a native ubuntu.

Reactions: vchircu

vchircu

Nov 4, 2011
thank you :p

Thanks for the reply and link :) , ill have a look and see what i can find , if i manage to get anything done ill post back here

asratxda

Jun 10, 2012
Mumbai

Can you make a thread on instructing how to chroot into ubuntu and run ubuntu on TN7? What applications work on it?

rchrdcrg

Nov 19, 2010
Branson, MO
www.youtube.com
I can at least vouch that the Tegra 2 version of Ubuntu worked on my Acer A500. If you can live with the basics, it's cool, but the amount of software available for ARM is minimal. It's also very unfriendly to touch, so you'll need a mouse. I personally can't think of anything I was able to do with it that I wasn't already able to do more easily with Android, so eventually I took it off.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I take it you mean Ubuntu in its direct form like the standard Desktop OS ?

If so there is a arm version of Ubuntu Server 14.04 coming out soon but thats a ARMv8 only. Now heres the catch our Tegra Note 7 is based on a Coretx A15 SOC which is ARMv7.

Now the only version of Ubuntu i know that was ported to ARMv7 was Ubuntu 12.04.

There was a Tegra 2 Version of this which you can read about here : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/TEGRA/AC100

So its possible, however as of yet the only other option would be Ubuntu Touch but thats not a native ubuntu.
    Can you make a thread on instructing how to chroot into ubuntu and run ubuntu on TN7? What applications work on it?

Yes i will make a thread , unfortuneatly i have not tested any applications on it as of yet , i should have the thread ready by sometime tomorrow