Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,940 Members 46,778 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't install chrome on rooted Kindle Fire

Tip us?

billmelbourne
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
Installing custom rom
1. Reboot to TWRP recovery and see what version is installed, should be 2.7.0.0 or higher. If you have older version you will need to up date.
Watch first 2 mins of video posted below to see how to reboot to TWRP.
2. Pick a rom, latest android version is KitKat/ 4.4 some KitKat roms are Cm11, CM11.0/SGT7, SlimKat PAC-man
They are all similar, features will very a little. I can't say which one will work best for you, I'm currently using SlimKat. but Cm11 is a good rom to start with.
3. Download Rom and Gapps (Google Apps). Don't download 'OtterX' roms unless you follow the Project OtterX instructions.
cm11: cm-11-20140609-SNAPSHOT-M7-otter.zip
KitKat Gapps: 20140105
4. Verify MD5 checksum for rom and gapps MD5 is posted on Rom/Gapps download pages.
see how to use checksum https://sites.google.com/site/sdshad...hash-checksums
5. Install rom and gapps in twrp recovery see how to install a rom on Kindle Fire it's an older rom but steps are the same.
Thank you for your trouble, I'm going to read up and watch the video before having a go at it. There will be a delay because we are going away on a 8 week cruise in 3 weeks time and my wife has warned me that if I brick the Kindle, she will kill me. I'll do it when we get back home and if it gets bricked I'll buy an Android tablet.
XDA really rocks.

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1326

DONATE TO ME
Yes, best to not get your self in trouble before vacation.
But once twrp installed the kindle is pretty safe, and twrp should already be installed.
Just post back in this thread, when you have more questions.

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using Tapatalk
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can...
Always in motion is the future
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]