No registration required

[Q] Custom Kernel

OP Misce

29th May 2014, 02:04 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

23 posts
Hello,

I use SM-N9005 4.4.2, Baseband ver. N9005XXUENC2, Kernel ver. 3.4.0-1168347, Build number KOT49H.N9005XXUEND5.

It's a rooted, stock ROM somewhat modded with Xposed, Android Tuner app etc.

I'd like to flash a custom Kernel which will allow overclocking, eXtended battery life and some other neat features I hope more experienced XDA community will recomend.

So, what Kernel would you recomend as a mix of stability and performance for my stock TW rom? I am fairly inexperienced in these waters. Are Baseband version, Build number etc important when deciding on a Kernel?

Any advice would be welcome. Thank you in advance.
29th May 2014, 02:51 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,071

731 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misce

Hello,

I use SM-N9005 4.4.2, Baseband ver. N9005XXUENC2, Kernel ver. 3.4.0-1168347, Build number KOT49H.N9005XXUEND5.

It's a rooted, stock ROM somewhat modded with Xposed, Android Tuner app etc.

I'd like to flash a custom Kernel which will allow overclocking, eXtended battery life and some other neat features I hope more experienced XDA community will recomend.

So, what Kernel would you recomend as a mix of stability and performance for my stock TW rom? I am fairly inexperienced in these waters. Are Baseband version, Build number etc important when deciding on a Kernel?

Any advice would be welcome. Thank you in advance.

Try n3 by wootever, sneakykat and leankernel (last doesn't have so many features but is great for battery & performance) and my personal favorite ael kernel of course.
The kernels are pretty easy to flash just put on SD flash and wipe Cache & dalvik. So don't worry if you don't like the kernel just flash another one.
One more thing don't put two different apps for kernel settings (like Synapse & Trickster) on the device cause that may cause conflicts. Have fun testing
The Following User Says Thank You to 4aces For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2014, 03:39 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 18

50 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4aces

Try n3 by wootever, sneakykat and leankernel (last doesn't have so many features but is great for battery & performance) and my personal favorite ael kernel of course.
The kernels are pretty easy to flash just put on SD flash and wipe Cache & dalvik. So don't worry if you don't like the kernel just flash another one.
One more thing don't put two different apps for kernel settings (like Synapse & Trickster) on the device cause that may cause conflicts. Have fun testing

Is it really necessary to wipe cache & dalvik? I've read in several posts that it is not required as there will not be any benefit.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwayteow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #4  
Gelderd End, 1974
Thanks Meter: 659

1,703 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwayteow

Is it really necessary to wipe cache & dalvik? I've read in several posts that it is not required as there will not be any benefit.

To quote Hacre, an excellent dev on other Samsung devices - wiping cache and dalvik for kernel flashing is like filling your car tires when the gearbox is ruined...
The Following User Says Thank You to B3311 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

23 posts
Quote:

Thanks for your response. I've flashed the AEL kernel, recommended by you.

What are the immediate advantages I received compared to the default one? How do I get the most out of it now - what next?

Thanks for your patience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Misce For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2014, 10:21 PM   |  #6  

731 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for your response. I've flashed the AEL kernel, recommended by you.

What are the immediate advantages I received compared to the default one? How do I get the most out of it now - what next?

Thanks for your patience.

That is pretty hard to answer cause I do not know what settings you prefer. (Performance, battery or a mix of both). Download Trickster from app store or set cpu (for last you have to pay though). At first I would try to set just governor and I/O scheduler. In the link you will find some information. Got helped not too long ago
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post52955859
Make sure to hit thanks for nikolaschum for the awesome posts and links he provided! !
Last edited by 4aces; 29th May 2014 at 10:28 PM.
29th May 2014, 10:52 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

23 posts
Quote:

That is pretty hard to answer cause I do not know what settings you prefer. (Performance, battery or a mix of both). Download Trickster from app store or set cpu (for last you have to pay though). At first I would try to set just governor and I/O scheduler. In the link you will find some information. Got helped not too long ago
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post52955859
Make sure to hit thanks for nikolaschum for the awesome posts and links he provided! !

Is it safe to simply overlock my N9005 to 2.8 Ghz?
29th May 2014, 10:59 PM   |  #8  

731 posts
More
Quote:

Is it safe to simply overlock my N9005 to 2.8 Ghz?

No for Benchmark maybe but most of the time the phone will crash then.

Personally I take 22565600 as max and 300 min with intellidemand governor and deadline scheduler but every phone works different that's also why you won't find any "perfect" kernel or governor.
Last edited by 4aces; 29th May 2014 at 11:04 PM.
14th June 2014, 10:15 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 14

63 posts
how can I flash the kernel I tried CWM to flash the zip file but it doesn't work please help me to find my solution

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread