I too am looking for advice on what ROM to use. I've tried a few and they've all had broken crap... like obviously broken crap that should have been in the OP and used to be back in the day. Would have saved me some time if I knew beforehand. Things like Wifi, GPS, OpenVPN....
Negativity aside, I'm looking for:
* a daily driver ROM - good performance good battery life, but stability most importantly
* where all the radios work right out of the gate, or with a single easy to implement fix that works 300% of the time that's no later than the 2nd or 3rd message in the ROM thread
* I want to use the Pen, so I think that means it has to be a touch whiz ROM, right?
* VPN to work, specifically, OpenVPN. Seems that I might be better off sticking to Android 4.1 or older for this, to bypass the VPNService API I have been researching all day today
* Bloat removed, or removeable
I really like this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2121063
but I can't get OpenVPN working
or any concrete info on what's going on or how to fix it, so I think I'm going to have to find a new ROM.
I installed Whompasaurus yesterday, that seems to be a favorite here, I might try it for more than a few hours, or try Jelly Bomb http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1957773
or the Swamp monster by team Venum http://www.teamvenum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=768
I like the look of this one http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2266079
but I'm pretty sure it will have the same VPN problem since it's based ont he same ROM I'm using now.