Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Please help me try to un soft brick HTC One - KK, with sense 6 [SOLVED!!!!! THX]

OP gawoz

14th June 2014, 01:24 AM   |  #31  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkk71

I just re-read your thread, and this sounds like a hardware problem.

Your phone was completely stock and under warranty, but you unlocked bootloader with a bootlooping 100% stock untampered phone

And the above information in red, doesn't sound interesting at all

Try reflashing your firmware again firmware_5.12.707.104_signed.zip
Since you are S-ON, you will need to relock bootloader to flash it:

fastboot oem lock
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip firmware_5.12.707.104_signed.zip
fastboot flash zip firmware_5.12.707.104_signed.zip
<- yes, TWICE !!
fastboot reboot-bootloader

then check if baseband came back.

you would then have to unlock again and reflash TWRP.

and forget about the 'usb-otg' since you don't have one attached, it's not going to wipe it.
To completely format the relevant partitions, you do the following in TWRP:
1) "Format Data", that will format /data and internal storage
2) Advanced Wipe -> /system and /cache, that will format /system and /cache
3) reboot to recovery

then you can push the ROM again and install it.

Thank you for this. After flashing the ZIP firmware file - BASEBAND has come back - and I also have all fields filled in with values when I check the IMAGE CRC - H Boot, Boot, Recovery and System

AND NOW _ GREAT NEWS!!!!

I followed the steps you gave and then waited anxiously - until finally the phone rebooted and is now working - !!!

This is awesome and I appreciate your perseverance and help getting me through this experience!

I have a final few questions - maybe you can tell me:

- How do I try to prevent this happening again - do I just keep this back up file in TWRP?
- Is there anyway to get/flash the stock ROM - or doesn't it make any difference ( I have not explored this one yet)?
- Is there some way I can return phone to LOCKED and get rid of Tampered?
- I also tried to factory reset the phone through the settings menu - and it went back into TWRP - is there a reason for this? How do I factory reset and then restore from HTC Backup/restore?

and finally - will I receive notifications of software and other OS updates - such as sense etc - OTA?

And again, and again - thank you thank you thank you to everyone that helped get me and this great phone through this!
Last edited by gawoz; 14th June 2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!
14th June 2014, 02:28 PM   |  #32  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 3,078

6,208 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawoz

Thank you for this. After flashing the ZIP firmware file - BASEBAND has come back - and I also have all fields filled in with values when I check the IMAGE CRC - H Boot, Boot, Recovery and System

AND NOW _ GREAT NEWS!!!!

I followed the steps you gave and then waited anxiously - until finally the phone rebooted and is now working - !!!

This is awesome and I appreciate your perseverance and help getting me through this experience!

Great news

Quote:

I have a final few questions - maybe you can tell me:

- How do I try to prevent this happening again - do I just keep this back up file in TWRP?

Honestly, this shouldn't have happened at all. And I recommend you keep a "cloud" backup (whatever your choice is) activated, including camera upload, just in case.

[QUOTE]- Is there anyway to get/flash the stock ROM - or doesn't it make any difference ( I have not explored this one yet)?[/CODE]
You'll have to check if someone made a stock system ROM for 5.12.707.104, I haven't looked, so it could be out there.
Though obviously I personally prefer custom ROMs with root

Quote:

- Is there some way I can return phone to LOCKED and get rid of Tampered?

This is only possible with S-Off, in particular the LOCKED (not RELOCKED) part; tampered should go away (though sometimes doesn't) once you have stock ROM and stock recovery, but setting back to original LOCKED is only possible with S-Off.
You could try rumrunner and firewater, though chances of it working on your version are slim.

Quote:

- I also tried to factory reset the phone through the settings menu - and it went back into TWRP - is there a reason for this? How do I factory reset and then restore from HTC Backup/restore?

Not sure (since I havent used factory reset) but I would guess it was trying to access stock recovery to do the factory reset, and since you have TWRP instead of stock recovery that's why it ended up there.
But when you wipe /data in TWRP, it deletes all your apps+data+settings, so when you boot up the phone, it would be "new", and HTC Restore should work.

Quote:

and finally - will I receive notifications of software and other OS updates - such as sense etc - OTA?

Only if you are on a 100% stock ROM for your MID and CID, as mentioned above.
14th June 2014, 02:57 PM   |  #33  
OP Junior Member

17 posts
Thumbs up
[QUOTE=nkk71;53394028]Great news

Honestly, this shouldn't have happened at all. And I recommend you keep a "cloud" backup (whatever your choice is) activated, including camera upload, just in case.

Quote:

- Is there anyway to get/flash the stock ROM - or doesn't it make any difference ( I have not explored this one yet)?[/CODE]
You'll have to check if someone made a stock system ROM for 5.12.707.104, I haven't looked, so it could be out there.
Though obviously I personally prefer custom ROMs with root

This is only possible with S-Off, in particular the LOCKED (not RELOCKED) part; tampered should go away (though sometimes doesn't) once you have stock ROM and stock recovery, but setting back to original LOCKED is only possible with S-Off.
You could try rumrunner and firewater, though chances of it working on your version are slim.

Not sure (since I havent used factory reset) but I would guess it was trying to access stock recovery to do the factory reset, and since you have TWRP instead of stock recovery that's why it ended up there.
But when you wipe /data in TWRP, it deletes all your apps+data+settings, so when you boot up the phone, it would be "new", and HTC Restore should work.

Only if you are on a 100% stock ROM for your MID and CID, as mentioned above.

OK - can I just ask how u guys get or access the software updates and all that stuff - or doesn't it matter after you customise/root the phone - Since the phone is working now - maybe I should just go all the way with this rather than bothering with stock stuff anymore...? I will search around for threads and stuff on this - but I respect any final input at this stage.

Cheers! (insert a BEER icon here...)
14th June 2014, 03:16 PM   |  #34  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 3,078

6,208 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawoz

OK - can I just ask how u guys get or access the software updates and all that stuff - or doesn't it matter after you customise/root the phone - Since the phone is working now - maybe I should just go all the way with this rather than bothering with stock stuff anymore...? I will search around for threads and stuff on this - but I respect any final input at this stage.

Cheers! (insert a BEER icon here...)

If you look in the Development section you'll find plenty of custom ROMs (some very close to stock, others with many many tweaks, and a lot in between the two), you would need to try a few to find which one suits your needs.... everyone has different expectations, so there is no "best" ROM or similar, it's all an individual perspective.

And we update (if one wants to) by installing the latest release. Many times a "dirty-flash" works (ie installing without wiping /data, which keeps your apps+data+settings intact), and if it doesn't then we do a clean install (wiping /data), and use a Backup/Restore program to reinstall apps+data (and possibly some settings).
I personally use Titanium Backup Pro (requires root) to restore all my apps+data, and manually setup my accounts again. There are many backup programs out there, including HTC Backup/Restore which seems to do a decent job too (though i've never tried it).
You'll have to experiment/ask to find out what works best for you.

Remember to always make a nandroid backup before flashing anything new, that way you can quickly restore your phone, in case you installed something but didn't like it.

(...takes cold beer inserted above and enjoys...)
14th June 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #35  
OP Junior Member

17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkk71

If you look in the Development section you'll find plenty of custom ROMs (some very close to stock, others with many many tweaks, and a lot in between the two), you would need to try a few to find which one suits your needs.... everyone has different expectations, so there is no "best" ROM or similar, it's all an individual perspective.

And we update (if one wants to) by installing the latest release. Many times a "dirty-flash" works (ie installing without wiping /data, which keeps your apps+data+settings intact), and if it doesn't then we do a clean install (wiping /data), and use a Backup/Restore program to reinstall apps+data (and possibly some settings).
I personally use Titanium Backup Pro (requires root) to restore all my apps+data, and manually setup my accounts again. There are many backup programs out there, including HTC Backup/Restore which seems to do a decent job too (though i've never tried it).
You'll have to experiment/ask to find out what works best for you.

Remember to always make a nandroid backup before flashing anything new, that way you can quickly restore your phone, in case you installed something but didn't like it.

(...takes cold beer inserted above and enjoys...)

Ok mate - thanks for these tips - I will hunt around and let the games begin!

Respect and thanks to you and everyone that chimed in to help me out with this. It's great to have the old girl back!!!

(I was starting to think if a new LG G3 for a few minutes there.....)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread