Porting CWM how to Extract stock Recovery image?

31st May 2014, 05:05 PM   |  #11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 1,564

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trozzul

Cool, i will try my best to figure out how to get Ubuntu on this old thing, from looking it up looks like a simple process. could you recommend a good way to learn some basic commands like that guide asks for? i am using codecademy right now for some basic java and html stuff i know you need to know some of that stuff. its a single core 512mb of ram old XP computer, i dont know the system requirements for Ubuntu.

Your machine meets the minimum specs for Ubuntu (Barley) you could also check out Xbuntu or Lubuntu as well, make sure you use a 64-bit version as Android building requires that. Keep in mind with those specs you should be able to build it will just take a while to compile. For learning the basics of the Linux command line, this is a great guide just ignore the parts about Windows Power Shell (Or don't ignore them and learn twice as much!). The system requirements for Ubuntu can be found here as well for your reference. Android building does't really deal with HTML, it does deal with Java but as always the more you know the better because it just makes it easier to learn from there.
31st May 2014, 07:20 PM   |  #12  
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208

Your machine meets the minimum specs for Ubuntu (Barley) you could also check out Xbuntu or Lubuntu as well, make sure you use a 64-bit version as Android building requires that. Keep in mind with those specs you should be able to build it will just take a while to compile. For learning the basics of the Linux command line, this is a great guide just ignore the parts about Windows Power Shell (Or don't ignore them and learn twice as much!). The system requirements for Ubuntu can be found here as well for your reference. Android building does't really deal with HTML, it does deal with Java but as always the more you know the better because it just makes it easier to learn from there.

im pretty sure that computer i have is 32bit, so im screwed?
1st June 2014, 10:30 PM   |  #13  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

im pretty sure that computer i have is 32bit, so im screwed?

Is the operating system installed 32-bit or is the the CPU itself in your computer a 32-bit processor because if it's just a 32 -bit operating system you can still install the 64-bit version. But if it's a 32-bit processor then I'm afraid your out of luck. What you can do however is setup Ubuntu in a virtual machine on your main computer using Virtualbox.
The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd June 2014, 12:23 AM   |  #14  
Quote:

Is the operating system installed 32-bit or is the the CPU itself in your computer a 32-bit processor because if it's just a 32 -bit operating system you can still install the 64-bit version. But if it's a 32-bit processor then I'm afraid your out of luck. What you can do however is setup Ubuntu in a virtual machine on your main computer using Virtualbox.

i was aware of the virtual machine ( still dont know how to do it lol) and i sorta didnt want to use it on my main computer i feel like to me it would be easier to just start linux on another computer. uh how would i tell if the processor on it is 32bit?
2nd June 2014, 12:46 AM   |  #15  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

i was aware of the virtual machine ( still dont know how to do it lol) and i sorta didnt want to use it on my main computer i feel like to me it would be easier to just start linux on another computer. uh how would i tell if the processor on it is 32bit?

With Virtualbox you can setup Windows and Linux side-by-side and the good thing is if you mess something up in Virtualbox you regular windows installation is unaffected, I would highly recommend checking out this video walk though guide on how to install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in Virtualbox. You can find out if you have a 32-bit processor or 64-bit processor by going to Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information (Or just search for System Information), then look at the System Type entry if it says x64-based PC you have a 64-bit processor if it says x86-based PC you have a 32-bit processor.
6th June 2014, 07:21 AM   |  #16  
Quote:

With Virtualbox you can setup Windows and Linux side-by-side and the good thing is if you mess something up in Virtualbox you regular windows installation is unaffected, I would highly recommend checking out this video walk though guide on how to install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in Virtualbox. You can find out if you have a 32-bit processor or 64-bit processor by going to Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information (Or just search for System Information), then look at the System Type entry if it says x64-based PC you have a 64-bit processor if it says x86-based PC you have a 32-bit processor.

ill try to post back soon, i will try out virtualbox but im going to try to still get ubuntu on another computer i own, the other one ended up being x86 based. im sure the new one is 64-bit but it needs some work on it. thanks for the help so far!
7th June 2014, 12:07 AM   |  #17  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

ill try to post back soon, i will try out virtualbox but im going to try to still get ubuntu on another computer i own, the other one ended up being x86 based. im sure the new one is 64-bit but it needs some work on it. thanks for the help so far!

No problem buddy happy to help out, let me know how it goes!
9th June 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #18  
Quote:

No problem buddy happy to help out, let me know how it goes!

alright installed Ubuntu on one of my many computers, gonna try to build a setup a build environment, i have 75 gigs free on my hard drive, i heard the android source needs 100GB? could i put another hard drive in my computer thats 80gigs and would work?
14th June 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #19  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

alright installed Ubuntu on one of my many computers, gonna try to build a setup a build environment, i have 75 gigs free on my hard drive, i heard the android source needs 100GB? could i put another hard drive in my computer thats 80gigs and would work?

My apologizes for getting back to you so late @Trozzul I just finished with my finals the other day and didn't get home till much latter then anticipated hence the delay. While you could put in another 80 GB hard drive I would recommend picking up at least a 250 GB Hard Drive (They can be found online for about $30-$40), as that way you can be sure you won't run out of room and can have your main build environment all on one drive. But you can try it with the setup you have now and you can probably get away with it. As always let me know of any questions you have happy to help .

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread